CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
MoBo - GIGABYTE GA-AB350M
RAM - 16gb
OS - Win10

Preface:-
All temps are fine
I can run all games fine
current PSU is 550W corsair

Despite the fact I can run all games fine, I was expecting a bit more performance out of this setup, purely based off streams and benchmarks etc.
Now this can be down to 2 reasons
1.) My PSU isnt supplying enough so max. performance cant be achieved.
2.) My expectations are too high

Thanks

Solution
It is extremely unlikely that your PSU would be the culprit with a problem like this.

As for the frames per second, it's hard for anyone to say whether you're getting reasonable performance for the parts or not without having any frame of reference other than your subjective feelings about your performance. If you're simply comparing to random YouTube videos with similar specs, you're going to be disappointed as there's a lot of bull out there; give me a couple hours with editing software and I can make a video in which I'm getting 150 FPS in Battlefield V on my Sega Genesis.
Jan 6, 2019

you forgot to mention specifically PSU you have

DSzymborski

Titan
It is extremely unlikely that your PSU would be the culprit with a problem like this.

As for the frames per second, it's hard for anyone to say whether you're getting reasonable performance for the parts or not without having any frame of reference other than your subjective feelings about your performance. If you're simply comparing to random YouTube videos with similar specs, you're going to be disappointed as there's a lot of bull out there; give me a couple hours with editing software and I can make a video in which I'm getting 150 FPS in Battlefield V on my Sega Genesis.

Solution

thomasjamesbullock

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017

haha. wow. I've edited it in there now. If its not there its a 550W corsair.

Jan 6, 2019
well that PSU is sort of downside of your PC, I mean you probably need moreee Watts for overclocking your GPU, and about FPS first you need to be aware and having little knowledge about games graphic settings sometimes something unimportant will cause so much FPS drops for example Assassin's Creed Odyssey volumetric clouds setting! that cause so much FPS drops which you can't even tell deference between high or low in game play! you need to seeing them side by side in order to tell deference! so doing little graphic setting tricks will help FPS A LOT! meanwhile using SDD or NVMe will increase FPS as well. hope that helps you somehow.

thomasjamesbullock

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017

Okay... thanks. I do consider myself quite savy with graphic settings. However I dont have ssd I just have normal hdd but I didnt think that effects fps. Does it make a considerable difference or....

Thanks

DSzymborski

Titan

It doesn't. It only affects load times; the answer was nonsense.

Jan 6, 2019

you're welcome.
well theoretically when you going around in your game for example using super fast car in GTA V and going around the map or fight with multiple enemies at same time... so theoretically data will first move to your RAM then GPU so no deference between HDD or SSD in FPS ! BUT in real life testing, there's some deference like 5-10 FPS and sometimes 15-20 so it's all up to you, one last thing! after using SSD only for one day you'll never ever go back to HDD I'm not talking about gaming I'm talking about using computer opening apps, startup, anti-virus scanning, moving files....

thomasjamesbullock

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017

Guess I'll trust you as the mod : ) .
I dunno then, I see others with same specs even slightly lower playing fortnite at a steady 160fps at 1440p, while I'm at all low graphics, v sync off, all that jazz and maxing at 144fps, steady 90 -100 at 1080p
Nothing to do with that fact my MoBo is micro? - grasping at straws here.

Jan 6, 2019

lol ! it's not about trusting lol ! I just fully answered your question, like I said it's all up to you,
(quick side note: most people with HDD never want to believe that SSD will increase FPS or will save you a lot times in everyday routine tasks)
have fun.

DSzymborski

Titan

No, that's not the argument at all. Just that it doesn't affect FPS. The rare exceptions will be brief moments when there is a storage bottleneck, but games are generally designed to keep those to a minimum. The question was about FPS, not the ease of everyday tasks and implying there is a significant FPS difference was, very kindly, nonsense.

Jan 6, 2019

all my replies are there!!!! I never said significant FPS difference I said 5-10 and sometimes 15-20 and I'll say the same thing over and over again! we're here to help people and not achieving more Expertise badges by insulting others! so in short if you want more FPS 1. upgrade your PSU and overclock your GPU 2. do some graphic setting tricks 3. use SSD instead of HDD. (my last reply Idc if you truest me believe me insult me or whatever you want! those are facts whether you like them or not)

DSzymborski

Titan

"5-10 and sometimes 15-20" *is* a significant FPS difference.

And no, you'll never find FPS changes like this with A/B testing. It was a bad answer to give someone needing help. I would strongly urge you to lower your temperature.