[SOLVED] Is my PSU enough for upgrading i5 4th gen CPU?

Apr 29, 2020
Is my PSU enough for upgrading i5 4th gen CPU?
My current spec is as follow
  • PSU 290W (Dell Brand)
  • CPU i3 4160
  • ASUS GTX 1050 Ti (4GB)
  • HDD 500 GB
  • HDD 500 GB
  • RAM 4GB DDR 3
  • RAM 4GB DDR 3
  • Mntr 22 inches LCD
  • LAN Cat 5 ethernet
  • Mouse
  • Keyboard

Solution
You have a Dell. Delta supplys many of Dell OEM psus, but not all, so quality can vary from model to model. You also have a 75w 1050ti, so right now you are pushing somewhere around the 180-200w mark. Adding another 30w should be fine, just be aware that although the psu claims to be 290w, it might not be good for that continuous, it could very well be a cheapo unit that takes a nose dive at a lower draw.

It should be fine, hopefully, but many of the upgraded cpu models Dell used came with a 340w psu instead, possibly for just that reason.

Only one way to find out for sure.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You have a Dell. Delta supplys many of Dell OEM psus, but not all, so quality can vary from model to model. You also have a 75w 1050ti, so right now you are pushing somewhere around the 180-200w mark. Adding another 30w should be fine, just be aware that although the psu claims to be 290w, it might not be good for that continuous, it could very well be a cheapo unit that takes a nose dive at a lower draw.

It should be fine, hopefully, but many of the upgraded cpu models Dell used came with a 340w psu instead, possibly for just that reason.

Reactions: Bluky
Solution
Apr 29, 2020

Nosedive of my cheapo unit will be loss my 3mth salary!!!!! whatever, thz for ur suggestion

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry. Lol, but Dell is like most companies, if they can save a few ¢ on a single unit, multiplied by the millions of units ordered every year, it adds up. So their psu contracts are generally to the lowest bidder except in a few circumstances.

If the lowest bidder happens to build a 210w capable, 290w claimed psu, and you do push 180w....

Or.

You really did get a good Delta or even Seasonic OEM unit, it'll claim 290w, but could easily be realistically just over 300w and you are Golden!

Don't know.

Reactions: Bluky
Apr 29, 2020
Sorry. Lol, but Dell is like most companies, if they can save a few ¢ on a single unit, multiplied by the millions of units ordered every year, it adds up. So their psu contracts are generally to the lowest bidder except in a few circumstances.

If the lowest bidder happens to build a 210w capable, 290w claimed psu, and you do push 180w....

Or.

You really did get a good Delta or even Seasonic OEM unit, it'll claim 290w, but could easily be realistically just over 300w and you are Golden!

Don't know.
wish to be a golden unit :rolleyes: