Is my PSU enough to power my build??

Aug 10, 2018
Im not sure if my PSU is enough to power my current build. This is my first ever built PC, in the Partpicker list I have a gtx 1060. Im currently running a 1050ti but I wanna UG to a 1060 and dont wanna have to buy another PSU if I dont have to, and also dont wanna manage wires again (eye roll) Like I said before this is the first PC ive built and If I knew better I would have gone fully modular, but I have a non modular PSU. I will get one and rewire everything if I have to but would prefer to save the time and money if I dont. (Current PSU non modular) So is my PSU enough for this build? Thanks for your help

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Nbs2jy

Solution
You spent a fortune on high end parts & then dropped evga's lowest end & lowest wattage psu in there??

That was totally nonsensical in all honesty, Im not a psu snob but I honwstly would not be running that build on that psu personally.

Will it handle it ? Yes
Is it sensible ? No,not really.
I would not use that PSU for the build. It is not a very good PSU and you have an expensive build. A malfunction in the PSU can damage your components.

As far as wattage, you will probably be fine with a 450 watt PSU. But overclocking the 8700 and GPU may push the boundary. If I were you, I would look for a better quality PSU in the 550 watt range.

Aug 10, 2018

I do plan on overclocking but not in the near future. Running at stock settings do you think my build will be safe with this PSU for a couple of months at least until I have the extra money to focus on upgrading my build again?? Ive been putting alot of money into my build and I kinda need to stop for right now and focus my funds on something else.

Aug 10, 2018

LOL I'm sorry! I really wanna and Im already looking at the 550W Seasonic+ but money is really tight atm. I caught the 1060 on sale and wanna use it! I hate to have it sit in the box because I cant afford the PSU atm.

I highly recommend leaving the GPU in the box until you get a good PSU.

Not worth the risk....

Personally I wouldn't even power on the system as it is now with that PSU.

But that's me. ;)

Defo agree with you!

i recommend against it. if you need to cut down then cut down on something else. if the PSU blows then it could take out more then just itself and you will be back spending money on more then just a new PSU

To answer your question, yes, a 450w psu is sufficient for your parts.
But, I have some suggestions about your prospective build.

1. The 9th gen processors will be available soon. If you can wait, you will get more for your money with one of them.
I expect the i7-9700K to be the best gaming chip. It has 8 cores and will oc past the 5.0 on current 8th gen processors.

2. Today, the i7-8700K is as good as it gets for gaming.
But, the i5-8600K will game just as well and allow you to budget more for the graphics card.

3. Your case is a nice one and has room for a 160mm cooler.
Cryorig H7 is a nice mid range cooler, but your build deserves better. The noctua NH-D15s is as good as it gets.

4. 32gb is likely overkill for a gaming build. A 4 stick ram kit will still run in dual channel mode. Better to buy a 2 x 16gb kit if you need 32gb; 2 x 8gb otherwise.

5. Consider buying a 500gb ssd and deferring on the hard drive. You can always add a hard drive later. You may well find out that you do not need a hard drive at all. I don't.
And... make that a m.2 ssd. It is about the size of a stick of gum and plugs into the motherboard. No wires or cables needed.
The pcie versions are a bit faster than the sata versions.

6. You could use a 450w psu for a GTX1060.
Since it is working ok, I would not worry much.
Here is a chart for other options:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
EVGA power supplies vary in quality, and I think yours is not one of the good ones.
I would think of a 550-650w psu to avoid the hassle of rewiring later.
Seasonic focus is an excellent option.
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

Aug 10, 2018

My build is already complete has been for about a month now, Ive been using it with a 1050ti. I have a 1060 that I wanna put in and just needed to know if I could keep my current PSU with it until I get the funds to upgrade the PSU.

I do some light streaming but I for sure know 32GB is way overkill lol That was really just an aesthetics thing, I loved how the GSkill Tridentz looked in a set of 4 and didnt wanna get 4x 4GB Sticks if thats even a thing.

Thanks for your input though, I will def save this information for future upgrades

You spent a fortune on high end parts & then dropped evga's lowest end & lowest wattage psu in there??

That was totally nonsensical in all honesty, Im not a psu snob but I honwstly would not be running that build on that psu personally.

Will it handle it ? Yes
Is it sensible ? No,not really.

Solution
Aug 10, 2018

Lol Yeah, had I known better at the time I wouldnt have, Im new to PC building and that PSU was reccomended to me from what I thought to be a knowledgable source