[SOLVED] Is my PSU enough ?

Apr 28, 2020
Hello there!

I have been thinking about a system upgrade but to save a buck I am considering reusing my case, HDD and psu.
The case and HDD are ok but the PSU is a 520W 80 Bronze Seagate.
I have checked on newegg and the build I want to go for consumes about 385 W.
Would my 520 W PSU be enough for it ?

The build would be:
Ryzen 7 2700x
RTX 2060 Super (MSI)
1TB HDD 7200 rpm
256 2.5 inch SSD (Kingston)
MSI B450M PRO (mATX)

I don't want to overclock or add any RGB to it anytime soon.

Thanks!

Solution
Hello there!

I have been thinking about a system upgrade but to save a buck I am considering reusing my case, HDD and psu.

The build would be:
Ryzen 7 2700x
RTX 2060 Super (MSI)
1TB HDD 7200 rpm
MSI B450M PRO (mATX)

Thanks!

520W bronze should be enough - would be better if we knew the exact model.

My only reservation is that it's used - PSU do age with time, so whilst a decent quality new 520W bronze unit...
Hello there!

The build would be:
Ryzen 7 2700x
RTX 2060 Super (MSI)
1TB HDD 7200 rpm
MSI B450M PRO (mATX)

Thanks!

My only reservation is that it's used - PSU do age with time, so whilst a decent quality new 520W bronze unit would be fine, there is more risk reusing your older supply. If it fails it could potentially damage all those expensive new components.

Personally for the sake of £50 I'd probably buy a new unit in the 500 - 600W range and keep your old one as a spare (always useful to have a spare working PSU on hand for trouble shooting).

Solution
Apr 28, 2020

My only reservation is that it's used - PSU do age with time, so whilst a decent quality new 520W bronze unit would be fine, there is more risk reusing your older supply. If it fails it could potentially damage all those expensive new components.

Personally for the sake of £50 I'd probably buy a new unit in the 500 - 600W range and keep your old one as a spare (always useful to have a spare working PSU on hand for trouble shooting).
It's a Seasonic S12 II 520W. I have been using it for 3 yeas now. Also gonna put in 16GB of ram because I did not specify ( if it's of any use anyway). If you say I should not risk the system with an older PSU I should probably just buy a new one.

Reactions: cdrkf