[SOLVED] Is my PSU failing? PC re-booting during gaming load

Solidjake

Notable
Sep 6, 2019
Hey guys. I recently install my RTX 2070 Super and when gaming the computer does reset itself with certain games. The temps on the GPU are normal - not going over 53C or so and a fan curve enabled. On Assetto Corsa Competizone (racing game) and DOOM 2016 it runs perfect on max settings. Doom pegged out at 200 fps and ACC around 70-100 fps. But where the problem lies is with Project Cars 2 on a triple monitor (reset when trying to start a race/in race) and I tried Wolfenstein New Colossus both on max settings reboot the computer. All monitors at 144hz Asus VG248QE

Power supply is a Corsair HX850 (blue label one) which I looked back in my order histories and found out I purchased it in 2012... Is the load/demand of the GPU forcing the power supply to reboot the pc? When I checked the event log the critical was Kernal Power 41 after each reboot for the games. The rebooting did not happen with my GTX 1060 6gb albeit I did not run those games maxed out.

This is the PSU

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51g4GQFinRL.jpg

Solution
That's a decent PSU, but age and usage can wear on any PSU. If temps are good (including MB and drives), then the PSU is the next place to look. I don't suppose you have another PSU of suitable size to test with? It wouldn't have to be swapped out, just temp-wired in place of the other.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That's a decent PSU, but age and usage can wear on any PSU. If temps are good (including MB and drives), then the PSU is the next place to look. I don't suppose you have another PSU of suitable size to test with? It wouldn't have to be swapped out, just temp-wired in place of the other.

Reactions: Solidjake
Solution

Solidjake

Notable
Sep 6, 2019

Thanks for the reply clutch. I will most likely grab my brothers Evga 850 PSU out of his case on Monday and test it out. Will report back on Monday. If it is the PSU then I will buy the same Evga 850 again.