Is my PSU failing?

Danny j

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
My pc is almost 4 years old now and I have never had any hardware failures until now. I usually am able to solve the few software problems I have had and I have done research based on my current situation and be I think my PSU is failing but would like an opinion from someone who is more informed.

When my computer starts up is has been taking a little longer than normal to boot up. It will randomly shut down when I am using it ( I'm typing this on my phone because it shut down when I was trying to type on the pc, only had chrome open) it shuts down more frequently when it has more items open, mainly when I got games open. I have checked my thermals and they are all at 22C the fans are working fine I have opened it and checked. The main problem is when it shuts down it rarely shows the blue screen of death. It just becomes pixelated for half a second and resets. When the screen does appear I only have a half second to catch it. But everything on my computer is running at speeds they should besides some occasional lag where everything goes into "not responding" and it either crashes or it comes back and runs perfect again until another crash or lag.

Danny j

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
I have a 2010 aleinware. It has sensors in 3 locations all get to 24 degreese before the shut off and I hear all fans running. The only computer store in my town is best but with 3 bad power supply's all don't meet my pc specs. So I need to know for sure before I drive 1. Hour and buy something for it. I was told it could be the graphics card by so a people but others say it's not because of the hard reset.

But all the cooling is fine. It shows system fan RPM, PCI fan RPM, hard drive fan RPM and CPU pump RPM they are changing and I can feel air from them if I take the side off. It also shows the internal temp. So I know that's fine. Fans are running minimum at 2% on the PCI and a maximum of 34% on the hard drive fan

Well, might be PSU, but they put a pretty good unit in those. If you really think it is the PSU, BadBoy is correct; easiest thing to do is swap in a KNOWN, GOOD, WORKING psu and see if the problem persists.
Here are a couple other things to look at.
1. Friend has an Alienware and it had a GTX 460 video card. He started having problems and we were pretty sure it was the video card or monitor. I took his video card home and ran it for a week on my p.c.: nothing happened. He had one of my 460's and ran the same week; nothing happened. My card had better cooling. Turned out that the Alienware program was not spinning up the video card fan soon enough and some part of the card was getting warm and messing with his system; downloaded MSI Afterburner and set a bit more aggressive fan profile and the problem went away.
MIGHT work in your case.
2. Check the RAM. First, run MemTest. Run it at least 8 hours, preferrably 12. It may not show any errors, then again it might. Secondly; Pull all your RAM and start testing by running one stick at a time, starting in a primary slot. If it runs for 4-6 hours shut down and put a different stick of RAM in the same slot and start again. If all your RAM works in the 1st slot, test a stick in the second slot. etc. etc. etc. It is a long process but it will show up a bad piece of RAM OR a bad DIMM slot.

3. I really hope this isn't the problem, but it could be your hard drive failing. Back up everything you can or that you want to save. Then run the manufacture's diagnostics software. If it shows an error that will be your answer.