[SOLVED] Is my PSU failing?

Dec 30, 2021
Hi everyone, first time posting but long time peruser of forums whenever I have issues with my computer.

My PC keeps completely freezing when playing anything halfway intensive, and the only remedy is to turn it off and on again. When I say "completely freezes" I mean the entire computer just loses all function, sometimes resulting in a BSOD but mostly not even that, just a frozen screen. Day-to day work is fine, even if I have heaps of tabs and Spotify and Discord running while downloading updates on Steam. I can play weaksauce games like League and Starbound, and even Warframe on medium isn't a hassle. Anything higher than that like New World, Witcher 3, or even Warframe on ultra, just causes the entire computer to freeze. Before I was having issues like this, I could play Far Cry 6 and Cyberpunk 2077 with RTX on and still hit 60FPS easy.

I read that a failing PSU can often be the cause of these problems? My benchmark stats (recorded literally just before I posted this) are as follows (https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/49187948) and I've had my rig since April 2016

My parts are as follows:
GPU - ASUS GTX 3060Ti (Previously GTX 980Ti)
CPU - Intel Skylake i7-6700K 4.0GHz
PSU - 850W Corsair RM850x Fully Modular Gold
MTB - Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI
RAM - 4 x 4GB Kingston HyperX FURY 2133MHz DDR4
OS - Windows 10 64-Bit\

Any help would be spectacular <3 I just want to game again D:

Cheers,
HunterInExile

Solution
Motherboard BIOS up to date?
It isn't.

BIOS Date20151012

Latest is ,

F22f from 2018-03-09
would be good to update.

Also,

How full is the SSD?

is too full,

Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB-€59
314,046 User benchmarks, average bench 54%
19GB free (System drive)
need to do something about that too. Best imo would be to get a 256gb at the least. But do clear that C drive form clutter, you have a,

Seagate ST12000NE0007-2GT116 12TB
with at least 5tb free so move some stuff there if you want to keep it. Saw also this about that drive,

Relative performance n/a - RAM cached drive detected
from what i get...
Fish around on Google for "memtest86".

It's free. Download it and run it, making a bunch of passes (a dozen or more is what I usually hear about).

Takes a while; maybe overnight.

You want zero errors.

I think Windows has a built in tester; but it isn't as thorough.

Dec 30, 2021
Fish around on Google for "memtest86".

It's free. Download it and run it, making a bunch of passes (a dozen or more is what I usually hear about).

Takes a while; maybe overnight.

You want zero errors.

I think Windows has a built in tester; but it isn't as thorough.
Awesome, thanks for that, mate! I'll give it a bash tonight and hopefully churn out something. If not, I'll keep you posted :)

Mcfckyle91

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
Run WinDbg on the Bluescreen file and let me know the result. Can also view some basic info on the BSOD in reliability history. Event viewer is also another way but I much prefer WinDbg method, you can also run BlueScreenView v1.55 to pull some other information.

BSOD files are usually found in C:/Windows/MiniDump and are accessed with WinDbg and/or BlueScreen View (as admin).

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Motherboard BIOS up to date?
It isn't.

BIOS Date20151012

Latest is ,

F22f from 2018-03-09
would be good to update.

Also,

How full is the SSD?

is too full,

Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB-€59
314,046 User benchmarks, average bench 54%
19GB free (System drive)
need to do something about that too. Best imo would be to get a 256gb at the least. But do clear that C drive form clutter, you have a,

with at least 5tb free so move some stuff there if you want to keep it. Saw also this about that drive,

Relative performance n/a - RAM cached drive detected
from what i get does this mean that the drive uses the system ram as chache to speed up performance, this might be of influence of the performance, for the ram as well ( why it likely doesn't give a performancenr for the drive itself).

Got that all out of this,

My benchmark stats (recorded literally just before I posted this) are as follows (https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/49187948) and I've had my rig since April 2016

Last edited:
Solution