Question Is my PSU faulty or did my GPU break down

Dec 7, 2020
So last night I fell asleep watching a movie on my pc, and when I woke up this morning my pc was turned off. When I tried to turn it on, it wouldn’t boot. It would power up, all the fans will turn but it wouldn’t boot.

Opened the case and saw the cpu led stay red. Did some reading, took out the battery and put it back in, nothing.

Then I disconnected everything except the cpu and ssd and one stick of ram and I can hear the beep that it’s booting, so I started adding components one by one. When everything is connected except the GPU it boots and I get a display message to connect the GPU to the power supply. As soon as I connect the gpu and try to turn on the pc, same thing happens. The cpu led turns red, fans are spinning, but the pc won’t boot and I get no display. There are no error beeps or anything.

The pc is nearly 5 years old and never had any issues.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QB284d
These are the components minus the hdd, ssd and the psu. The PSU is 650W Chieftec CTG-650C Full A-80. If I haven’t added the components properly tell me and I’ll just write them down here, not really used to typing on phone much. :D

Possibly unrelated, but the last week or so I did have a strange issue which I couldn’t pinpoint after googling quite a bit. After the pc running for some hours I would be unable to open any programs or games, and the widgets I have for tracking temps and usage would disappear. But after restarting the pc the issue would be gone until the next day.

So is it possible that the PSU has somehow gone faulty and is not outputting the same number of W or has the GPU died?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dec 7, 2020
  1. MB AM3+ Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0
  2. CPU AM3 + AMD FX-8320 8-Core 3.5GHz Black Edition Box
  3. RAM DDR3 16 GB HX318C10FRK2/16 DDR3 1866MHz Kingston
  4. VGA nVidia Gigabyte GV-N960G1 GAMING-4GD
  5. HD 1 TB Western Digital SATA III WD10EZRZ
  6. HD SSD 120 GB Samsung S850 EVO MZ-75E120B
  7. PSU 650W Chieftec CTG-650C Full A-80
  8. COOL CPU Cooler CM Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-16PK-R1
All in a Thermaltake Versa II