Question Is my PSU faulty? The 12V reading in HWMonitor is not within the tolerance range.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2829896
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2829896

Hi folks,

A few days ago while playing a game I suddenly started to get visual artifacts, and depending on the GPU load; the artifacts would increase/decrease. Also when on low load (or idling?) there would be some artifacts (Only on the RX 580). So I tinkered about with GPU drivers, reinstalled the OS and tried a different GPU and its different drivers. These steps did not fix the problem.

Here are the components that I was using:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (w/ stock cooling - AMD Wraith Max CPU Cooler)
  • MB: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
  • RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16
  • GPU: MSI RX 580 8G ARMOUR OC (Used)
  • [Alternative GPU]: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8G (Used)
  • PSU: GIGABYTE B700H 700W 80+ Bronze
  • Primary Monitor: AOC C24G1(1080p, 144hz - connected with Display Port)
  • Secondary Monitor: Acer R241Y (1080p, 60hz - Connected with HDMI)
So today, I had the idea of checking the voltages for my system using HWMonitor and I noticed that the 12V value was reading between 9-10 volts which I learned is not good as it isn't with the tolerance range.

I also used HWMonitor on an older system that I have; which has a different PSU that does not have a PCIe power cable. And the 12V reading was within the tolerance range.

I took some images of voltage readings in my system, you can view them here: View: https://imgur.com/a/dPUSkxH

Is HWMonitor reliable? And Is there any other software that I can use to read the voltage outputs?

Regards

D

Deleted member 2829896

HWMonitor is reliable. That PSU is not the worst but its a lower end model.

If its reading 9-10v there is DEFINITELY something wrong with it. Time for a new one.

OK thanks for clarifying the integrity of HWMonitior. I agree that I had cheaped out on the PSU as I was on a budget at the time. I greatly appreciate your input.

Now I have been looking around for a brand new PSU for the past few hours and I particulary want to get one from Corsair. But Corsair seem to be low on stock for some models of their PSUs.

I could spend at most £100 on a new PSU, if anyone has a PSU quality list with prices that I could refer to that would be great.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
OK thanks for clarifying the integrity of HWMonitior. I agree that I had cheaped out on the PSU as I was on a budget at the time. I greatly appreciate your input.

Now I have been looking around for a brand new PSU for the past few hours and I particulary want to get one from Corsair. But Corsair seem to be low on stock for some models of their PSUs.

I could spend at most £100 on a new PSU, if anyone has a PSU quality list with prices that I could refer to that would be great.

Yeah the pandemic has decimated PSU supplies and they haven't really come back yet, mainly because of a lot of backorders.

We have a PSU tier list but there are no prices, how about you share with me a couple links to places that you would order from and I can look for what they have in stock that works for you.

This can easily do the job-

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...d-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020132-na

D

Deleted member 2829896

Yeah the pandemic has decimated PSU supplies and they haven't really come back yet, mainly because of a lot of backorders.

We have a PSU tier list but there are no prices, how about you share with me a couple links to places that you would order from and I can look for what they have in stock that works for you.

So I would've said Amazon, Ebay, or anywhere where they will do next day delivery as time is a factor for me. But, I have already placed an order on Amazon before I saw yours and Archaic59's replies. Thanks for the technical support.

Yes, this is the one I have ordered before seeing your reply, I had to over pay a little due to the low stock but that's alright. Time is a factor for me at the moment due to most of the components I have are still eligble for return up until the end of the month.

The PSU I ordered will apparently come on Friday, and if it resolves my issue, I will then mark the thread as resolved if that is possible.

Thank you guys for your inputs.

Reactions: Rogue Leader
D

Deleted member 2829896

Update:

Today I took delivery of a Corsair TX-M Series 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified PSU, and I've set it all up with the components I had. But still, the readings of the 12V in the BIOS are between 11.9-12.1, but in HWMonitor or HWinfo32 they read it as 10 to 10.9.

I don't know which figures to believe, and I guess to find out the true reading is to use a multimeter, but I haven't had much experience using that device.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Update:

Today I took delivery of a Corsair TX-M Series 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified PSU, and I've set it all up with the components I had. But still, the readings of the 12V in the BIOS are between 11.9-12.1, but in HWMonitor or HWinfo32 they read it as 10 to 10.9.

I don't know which figures to believe, and I guess to find out the true reading is to use a multimeter, but I haven't had much experience using that device.

11.9-12.1 is correct. I would believe the BIOS.

Are you using the latest versions of the software?

The possibility is so remote I didn't even consider it, but it may be an issue with how your motherboard is reporting it.

D

Deleted member 2829896

11.9-12.1 is correct. I would believe the BIOS.

Are you using the latest versions of the software?

The possibility is so remote I didn't even consider it, but it may be an issue with how your motherboard is reporting it.

Hello

so, after doing some research I've found out that the motherboard (ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming) has a common issue of not being to accurately display voltages within software like HWMonitor and HWiNFO.

I was using the latest version of the software and I had updated the MB BIOS to the latest version. If I wanted to get a near true voltage reading, I would have to load the BIOS and read them from there like you said.

D

Deleted member 2829896

Now, after using this new PSU for over a week, I think there might be an issue on how it draws power when the system is powered on after being on an off state. The off state that I refer to means that the switch on the PSU is set to off and the socket that it is plugged into is also switched off.

The problem I have is that when I power on the system, it will immediatly power off after the displaying the POST screen and before loading the operating system. But, it will turn on and load the OS without fault on the second try.

If the system does turn on fully and load the OS on the first try, I would get visual glitches or a lot of other weird glitches. Some unsual things that have happened: being presented with a CLI for the User Login instead of the GUI, video glitches (lots of flickering), unable to load certain software. But, these glitches would go away if I reset the system.

Is anyone able to give me some insight on this?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Now, after using this new PSU for over a week, I think there might be an issue on how it draws power when the system is powered on after being on an off state. The off state that I refer to means that the switch on the PSU is set to off and the socket that it is plugged into is also switched off.

The problem I have is that when I power on the system, it will immediatly power off after the displaying the POST screen and before loading the operating system. But, it will turn on and load the OS without fault on the second try.

If the system does turn on fully and load the OS on the first try, I would get visual glitches or a lot of other weird glitches. Some unsual things that have happened: being presented with a CLI for the User Login instead of the GUI, video glitches (lots of flickering), unable to load certain software. But, these glitches would go away if I reset the system.

Is anyone able to give me some insight on this?

Many times you will get reboots like that at startup when you have bad settings in your BIOS, IE your memory is set incorrectly. Can you try resetting the CMOS and see if it runs reliably from there?

D

Deleted member 2829896

Many times you will get reboots like that at startup when you have bad settings in your BIOS, IE your memory is set incorrectly. Can you try resetting the CMOS and see if it runs reliably from there?

I will reset the CMOS soon, and I will update you with a reply of the outcome later. Thanks for the suggestion.

Why do you take the pc of the power like that?

Are you suggesting that this bad practice? Could I do anything differently that will help maintain the functionality of my system?

Let me try to explain myself again. After the system is shutdown I flick the PSU switch to off then soon after I flick the switch of the mains socket that the system is connected to; to off.

I tend to turn off main outlet sockets with appliances plugged into them if I am not using those appliances, it soley depends on if there is a reason for them to be left on or on stand by.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with this and I think it is resourceful, but perhaps there is something that I am missing?