[SOLVED] Is my PSU good enough for an RTX 3090?

vici12

Honorable
Jul 20, 2016
I'm going to buy an rtx 3090, as an upgrade from my 1080Ti, and I'm wondering if i need to get a better PSU for it.

My current one is an 850W EVGA Supernova 850 G2 80+ Gold, that i've been using since October 2018, with the 1080Ti.

Is it maybe too old at this point, to still be reliable? Or is it not strong enough?

My other specs are an i7-8700K that i never overclock, Aorus Gaming Z370 K3 D4 motherboard, 32GB RAM, one 500GB SSD, one 1TB HDD and a Noctua NH-D15 cooler

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Avro Arrow
Solution
I think would be best to change your PSU if your getting the 3090 its getting nearly 5 years old you never know what health it is at now also look for better PSU that has over 1000W. With My 3090 using 1000W PSU running GPU smoothly
Minimum Recommended PSU750 W
I think would be best to change your PSU if your getting the 3090 its getting nearly 5 years old you never know what health it is at now also look for better PSU that has over 1000W. With My 3090 using 1000W PSU running GPU smoothly

Last edited:
Reactions: vici12
Solution
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-HX1200-Platinum-Certified-Modular/dp/B01MZ8A8NW
Would this one be considered reliable and strong enough for it?

That will power the 3090 and is an good PSU look at pro and cons below

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-hx1200-psu,5102.html

Pros
  • +
    Full power at 46°C
  • +
    Efficient
  • +
    Ripple suppression
  • +
    Full protection features set
  • +
    Load regulation
  • +
    Hold-up time
  • +
    Accurate Power Ok signal
  • +
    Build quality
  • +
    Silent
  • +
    Inrush current
  • +
    Fully modular
  • +
    2x EPS & 8x PCIe connectors
  • +
    FDB fan
  • +
    Semi-passive mode
  • +
    Ability to switch to multi +12V rail mode
  • +
    10-year warranty
Cons
  • -
    OCP at 5VSB
  • -
    Bulky ATX, EPS and PCIe cables

Reactions: vici12
I'm going to buy an rtx 3090, as an upgrade from my 1080Ti, and I'm wondering if i need to get a better PSU for it.

My current one is an 850W EVGA Supernova 850 G2 80+ Gold, that i've been using since October 2018, with the 1080Ti.

Is it maybe too old at this point, to still be reliable? Or is it not strong enough?
No, your PSU is just fine. I personally have an EVGA 1000 G2 Supernova from 2017 and our PSUs both have a TEN YEAR WARRANTY from EVGA. This means that my PSU won't be out of warranty until 2027 and yours won't be out of warranty until 2028. Why would you stop using a PSU that's only halfway through its warranty period?

Furthermore, according to TechPowerUp's GPU Database, the suggested PSU for an RTX 3090 is 750W. This means that you have a top-of-the-line PSU that is 100W stronger than what is suggested by nVidia.

You can ignore anyone who tells you to get a new PSU because your PSU is 100W stronger than what nVidia recommend and is only halfway through its warranty period. Top-of-the-line 80+Gold PSUs don't have their ages measured in years, they're measured in decades. That's why we pay the big bucks for them.

Hell, my backup PSU is an OCZ Z1000M 1000W 80+Gold PSU from 2010 and I ran it for 6 months in a mining rig to start 2022. The CPU was an FX-8350 mounted on an old 990FX motherboard running 24/7 with an RX 5700 XT and an RX 6800 XT mining at the same time. That 13 year-old PSU didn't even blink. It ran that rig flawlessly.

The only reason that I have an EVGA 1000 G2 Supernova is because Newegg had some insane 50% off sale back when I bought it. I couldn't say no to the price listed (under $200CAD) and I figured "Why not? EVGA is a great company, the price was so low that I couldn't say no and that ten year warranty is just incredible! I also reasoned that my OCZ was 7 years old and might be getting long in the tooth. It turns out that I couldn't have been more wrong but I didn't mind being wrong because a backup PSU is a great thing to have if you ever need it. So I have a 1000W 80+Gold PSU as my rig's PSU and I have another 1000W 80+Gold PSU as a backup.

What you have is more than enough and it will be for many years to come (possibly another ten years). Just plug that RTX 3090 in and start playing! ;)

Last edited:
That "nearly 5 years old PSU" carries a ten year warranty from EVGA. I should know because I have the 1000W version. The OP doesn't need to do a thing except plug that RTX 3090 in and enjoy.

EVGA 850 G2 Supernova product and warranty page

No, your PSU is just fine. I personally have an EVGA 1000 G2 Supernova from 2017 and our PSUs both have a TEN YEAR WARRANTY from EVGA. This means that my PSU won't be out of warranty until 2027 and yours won't be out of warranty until 2028. Why would you stop using a PSU that's only halfway through its warranty period?

Furthermore, according to TechPowerUp's GPU Database, the suggested PSU for an RTX 3090 is 750W. This means that you have a top-of-the-line PSU that is 100W stronger than what is suggested by nVidia.

You can ignore anyone who tells you to get a new PSU because your PSU is 100W stronger than what nVidia recommend and is only halfway through its warranty period. Top-of-the-line 80+Gold PSUs don't have their ages measured in years, they're measured in decades. That's why we pay the big bucks for them.

Hell, my backup PSU is an OCZ Z1000M 1000W 80+Gold PSU from 2010 and I ran it for 6 months in a mining rig to start 2022. The CPU was an FX-8350 mounted on an old 990FX motherboard running 24/7 with an RX 5700 XT and an RX 6800 XT mining at the same time. That 13 year-old PSU didn't even blink. It ran that rig flawlessly.

The only reason that I have an EVGA 1000 G2 Supernova is because Newegg had some insane 50% off sale back when I bought it. I couldn't say no to the price listed (under $200CAD) and I figured "Why not? EVGA is a great company, the price was so low that I couldn't say no and that ten year warranty is just incredible! I also reasoned that my OCZ was 7 years old and might be getting long in the tooth. It turns out that I couldn't have been more wrong but I didn't mind being wrong because a backup PSU is a great thing to have if you ever need it. So I have a 1000W 80+Gold PSU as my rig's PSU and I have another 1000W 80+Gold PSU as a backup.

What you have is more than enough and it will be for many years to come (possibly another ten years). Just plug that RTX 3090 in and start playing! ;)

This is just our advice so please dont tell him to ingore because its his choice his PSU may have warranty but PSU wont stay 100% health for those ten years. I had couple good PSU in the past that blew up and to get powerful GPU with PSU that you had for nearly 5 years would not risk it also abit extra power can be good thing!. warranty is not going to protect your GPU!

Last edited:
This is just our advice so please dont tell him to ingore because its his choice his PSU may have warranty but PSU wont stay 100% health for those ten years. I had couple good PSU in the past that blew up and to get powerful GPU with PSU that you had for nearly 5 years would not risk it also abit extra power can be good thing!. warranty is not going to protect your GPU!
What do you mean "our" advice? I will tell him to ignore it because no company will give a warranty that they think will cost them money. If EVGA offers a ten year warranty then I expect the PSU to last for at least fifteen years.

What do you mean "our" advice? I will tell him to ignore it because no company will give a warranty that they think will cost them money. If EVGA offers a ten year warranty then I expect the PSU to last for at least fifteen years.

You cant expect PSU to last that long because they offered that much warranty simple as that. Things break during the warrinty and its only there to send it back to get replaced or fixed!. I had two evga power units that broken and not even 2 years old!. If PSU were so pefect to last 10 years because they offered warrinty there be no faults in this world and would not trust powerful expensive GPU in 5 year old PSU that been made before the GPU come out!

Last edited: