Is my PSU good enough to run a Geforce GTX 580??

schaf85

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
I have this 700 watt PSU called a XION, model number is XON-700P12N. I am a big PSU noob so not sure how it all works.
On the side of my PSU it says....

+3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 -12V +5VSB
24A 32A 21A 22A 0.6A 2.0A

I got this PSU as "standard psu" when I built a PC using IBUYPOWER.It does look pretty cheap. I was also wondering if there's any danger using this PSU if running a GTX 580 with it? Currently I use it to run a GTX 560 and everything has been good for about a year.

Help is appreciated, thanks.

Gallarian

Distinguished
The minimum wattage recommended by EVGA for the GTX 580 is 600. So, in terms of watts your PSU is fine.. but!

A cheap PSU by an unknown brand is not a good idea, especially not when using it for an expensive high-end card like that.

There have been many tests on cheap PSU's that claim to deliver high wattage, but actually only produce half of it.

Heres a line from the conclusion of such a review on your PSU:

'This power supply is far from the best we have reviewed but then again it isn’t the worst either. It has lackluster performance, suspect build quality and heats up faster than a barbeque on steroids yet it also looks great, has a low price and is quite quiet. So how much is that worth? No more than a 2.5/5 rating.' - www.hardwarecanucks.com

In my opinion, I'd get a new PSU as well - like this for example: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w-psu-corsair-enthusiast-series-650txv2uk-85-eff-80-plus-bronze-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-quiet-fan-a

mace200200

Honorable
Your PSU should be able to run that card, but I agree it is a pretty low quality unit. Since you already have it, and it still works, I would just keep using it until you need more power, or it stops delivering enough because it's old. When you look for a PSU you gotta look for 80+ and then a medal (bronze, silver, gold, platnium) as indicators of how decent it is. You also look for how many amps/ watts are on the 12v rail relative to the amount of watts its suppose to be able to deliever.

I'm looking for a new PSU as well and have been looking at these ones: http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59616&vpn=P1650SNLB9&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1027

Notice it is 80+ bronze, and it has 636w on the 12v rail out of the 650w it's listed as.

Gallarian

Distinguished

He's using it on GTX 560 at the minute, so just because it's fine on that significantly less demanding card doesn't mean it will be fine for a GTX 580. Though chances are it probably would, I still think a new PSU is in order if the upgrade to a 580 is done.

schaf85

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Thanks!

I still dont know what to do though cause after buying this card i will be real short on dough :(
I think i'll use this psu until i can save up enough for a new psu.if something goes wrong then its my own fault.thanks again guys i feel better knowing all this