Is my PSU good enough to support another gtx 1080?

Calmax

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
Hello all,

I have recently upgraded to a 4k monitor and still want to play games at the highest settings but my 1080 does struggle with some games. I want to have 2 GTX 1080 SLI but I'm not sure if my PSU will work with that.

My psu is 750W. Would this be ok or do I need to upgrade? Any suggestions will help

Thanks!

Solution

Good, that's a power supply you don't have to worry about. You wouldn't believe some of the horrors we see, 750W power supplies that are essentially bad 300W power supplies!

Depending on the exact GPU, the GPUs will max out in the 350-400W range, which leaves you enough headroom, so long as you don't have an unusually configured system otherwise (such as a strong overclock and a lot of extra or the nightmare 9370/9590 chips).

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Good, that's a power supply you don't have to worry about. You wouldn't believe some of the horrors we see, 750W power supplies that are essentially bad 300W power supplies!

Depending on the exact GPU, the GPUs will max out in the 350-400W range, which leaves you enough headroom, so long as you don't have an unusually configured system otherwise (such as a strong overclock and a lot of extra or the nightmare 9370/9590 chips).

Solution

Calmax

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
Thanks DSzymborski! I was worried that with the card plus the motherboard and i7 wouldn't cope. I just don't know about how much power they will all draw.

I have all my components set to the default settings they came with i haven't changed anything so that makes me feel better about everything!