Question Is my PSU likely to be causing system crashes?

mauhjt2007

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012
Hello all, you've been great in the past and hoping for a bit of wisdom.

I've been having increasing issues with my pc during explosions and building-collapses on X-com 2. It will regularly crash and restart, more so since I jumped from 1080p to 1440p. Oddly, no other games are causing this, and I've already reinstalled etc etc and same issues are occurring. To clarify the game will run, but it seems to crash on more explosive scenes. I'm aware I have an older PSU, and also there is some pc wizardry (which I don't quite understand) regarding voltages in the various connections to my pc components. I was wondering if someone could have a look at my set up to see if it's likely that my PSU is unable to meet the demands of my rig, especially under load. Many thanks!

600W OCZ 600MXSP (I know, who even remembers OCZ??)
CPU FX 8350 - AIO-cooled
Mobo Asus M5a97 r2.0
16gb DDR3 RAM at like 1600mhz (nothing special)
GPU Palit "JetStream" GTX 1070ti
256GB Samsung 850
1TB HDD
oh and an optical drive (i'm oldschool like that)

Additional info: My pc is not OC'd, and not hitting high temps to cause reboots. My GPU will happily sit at 100% usage on Heaven benchmark and usually stay below 70 degrees or so. CPU staying around 65 degrees on CINEBENCH.

mauhjt2007

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012
That was never a quality PSU and OCZ , was bought out several years ago. I personally wouldn't use it and your CPU holds back the 1070ti big time. FX 8350 can throttle around 70c and shut down.

Hi!

Yeah I've seen the general opinion of OCZ. I think I must have been quite lucky, I've had it since 2012 (!!). Perhaps it's finally time to upgrade that too.

And yeah, with regards to the CPU, that's my next upgrade. I would also need to get a new mobo and ram, and probably new CPU cooler too, so I've been putting it off a bit.

Is there a particular wattage I should aim for? I was looking at a EVGA 600W 80+ , which seems decent, but I'm aware may not be enough?

Last edited: