Question Is my PSU ok for a 2080ti build?

masty88

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2013
Hey everyone,

I have a spare Corsair CX600M that I am hoping to utilise with my new 1440p build.

My new build:

GPU - 2080ti
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600
RAM - 16GB 3200MHz
Hard drive - SSD

Is the PSU good enough for the build? Will I encounter any issues with power or connectors?

If I need to purchase a new one, can someone recommend one that I should buy from Amazon UK? It has to be Amazon.

Thanks!

masty88

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2013
Cx600 is very dated and not the good quality.

I would concider an upgrade. What would be your budget for a new psu?

I'm not sure what my budget would be, I guess I'd buy whatever is recommended as long as Amazon UK sell it. I'd be looking for good 'bang-to-buck' value. I probably wouldn't want to spend more than £75 unless you guys felt it really necessary...

Thanks again

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017

TX series, not CX.
You shouldn't rush, look around a little, you might find a good deal. if you can something like Seasonic Gold Plus 650w/750w is good, or as the others said, the TX series, the CX series have questionable capacitors.

This one not your one you can downgrade to a 650 if you want to get under that 75 budget, but this is the one you want, not what you linked. Never a good idea to cheap out on the psu, its what keeps everything working

Last edited:
Reactions: masty88
Don't match a budget psu with a high end card. If you are going to fork out $1200 for a GPU you should be prepared to fork out ~10% of that for a good psu.

Exactly 100% true, $1200 or more depending on the actual card.

And don't use one that is a well known time bomb and system killer (CX600).

And not enough wattage for the card in the 1st place if it was another PSU.

They gray label CX units are not time bombs or system killers. You need to get over your fixation on the older green label CX units. We haven't seen any of those issues with the newer units and I've mentioned that to you, politely, previously.

The CX600M is one of the green units.... ;)

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...upply-Units/cxm-series-config/p/CP-9020060-NA

Same with the CX600..... Also GREEN...

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...Supply-Units/cx-series-config/p/CP-9020048-NA

They are in fact known to be system killers just like I posted, and that is well known.

Never said a word in this thread about any GRAY labeled CX etc. :rolleyes:

What I said....

And don't use one that is a well known time bomb and system killer (CX600).

GREEN

Maybe if you read my post slower instead of jumping to conclusions?

Or maybe targeting me?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what my budget would be, I guess I'd buy whatever is recommended as long as Amazon UK sell it. I'd be looking for good 'bang-to-buck' value. I probably wouldn't want to spend more than £75 unless you guys felt it really necessary...

Thanks again

Wait... You're buying an £800 graphics card and can't be bothered to spend more than £75 on a PSU?

Have you ever even ever read a PSU review?

4745454b

Titan
Reactions: masty88

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Umm to be fair, depends on the review. When it was written. Who wrote it. Has it been revisited. Those old, colored label CX weren't half bad. At the time. The CX430 was a really good OEM replacement. Compared to units nowadays, yeah not so good, but at the time of review is a different story.
The CX line has historically suffered more abuse than any other series I can think of and mostly due to ignorance. They were never intended as gaming abuse psus, Corsair said as much on its website listing, but they were cheap, Corsair, so ppl used them in gaming pc's and they died. One bad word on the net and ten ppl never having owned a CX started a snowball, turned into avalanche about a pos psu. Next thing you know there's hundreds of word of mouth bs about failure rates. Well of course there is. A psu intended for grandma's youtuber pc is considerably less able than a full gaming intended psu.

Everybody knows you don't run in flip-flops. So don't gripe if you do, and they fall apart. Gpus of the caliber of a 2080ti demand a psu of similar caliber, if you want to run with the big-dogs you wear appropriate footware. A set of cheap flip-flops won't cut it for very long.

There's been several iterations of the old CX / CXM, some of which were EU only, so never made it Stateside. So it's kinda important to specify which when talking about them since there was. Green label CX-M that was nothing more than a modular version of the CX. In the EU market.

Reactions: Phaaze88
The CX750m he linked would likely reliably power the 2080ti for years, but I suspect it would be loud and possibly whine in the process.

The CX600 may even power it for years, but it would be a very bad idea and not worth the risk.

The CX 750m might be OK, but it's still a budget PSU with a high end GPU, never a good idea really. So roll the dice Soto speak on that one.

However that time bomb CX600M... It's really a 552W PSU, not 600W on the 12V.

A known system killer, doesn't have the separate PCI connections coming from the PSU to power the 2080Ti in the 1st place. That means 2 separate PCIe cables connected on the PSU end. Bad idea even with a good PSU, with that thing it's the worst idea of all worst ideas and just asking for massive issues.

Even a good quality 550W PSU is massively underpowered to run a 2080Ti. They don't have the proper cabling either as in 2x separate PCIe cables in general.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS