[SOLVED] Is my PSU Overloading and causing shutdown?

vonsworld

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
Hello

I have recently installed Flight Simulator 2020 but my PC switches off during the loading sequence as if there has been a power cut. When I run a 3dMark benchmark test the same thing happens when testing DirectX12, but the DX11 test runs OK.

I recently upgraded the PC with a GeForce 970 card and it has a 550 Watt PSU. However the PSU is a little old and only has 6 pin pcie power connectors, so I bought an 8 pin adapter lead to plug into the card.

Although 550W should be sufficient power, do you think perhaps not enough power can be supplied though the 6 pin connector and so the PSU is shutting down? In other words, simply buying the adapter lead is not sufficient, I need a PSU with a proper 8 pin pcie connector?

Before I buy another PSU is there any way to prove the PSU is shutting down and causing the problem, rather than it being a crash caused by something else?

Thanks for your advice
Robin

Solution
If your psu had only one pcie x6 connector, it was not designed to output more.
A graphics stress test is when the power demands will be highest.
The only way to confirm a psu issue is to replace with a known good psu and see if the problem goes away.
Borrow one if you can to test with.
If that is not possible, buy a replacement from a shop with a good return policy.
Expect a 15% restocking fee if you need to return it.

Consider a psu purchase as a long term investment.
It is one of the few "future proof" pc purchases you can make.
It will last for several generations of builds.
Buy a quality 650 or 750w psu.
It will only consume the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.
Buy a tier 1/2, no less than 3 unit from a...
Hello

I have recently installed Flight Simulator 2020 but my PC switches off during the loading sequence as if there has been a power cut. When I run a 3dMark benchmark test the same thing happens when testing DirectX12, but the DX11 test runs OK.

I recently upgraded the PC with a GeForce 970 card and it has a 550 Watt PSU. However the PSU is a little old and only has 6 pin pcie power connectors, so I bought an 8 pin adapter lead to plug into the card.

Although 550W should be sufficient power, do you think perhaps not enough power can be supplied though the 6 pin connector and so the PSU is shutting down? In other words, simply buying the adapter lead is not sufficient, I need a PSU with a proper 8 pin pcie connector?

Before I buy another PSU is there any way to prove the PSU is shutting down and causing the problem, rather than it being a crash caused by something else?

Thanks for your advice
Robin
The "it has a 550W PSU" is really generic. A 30-40$ 550W PSU its not the same as a 100$ 550W PSU. You should specify the exact model of your PSU. I also had a Corsair TX850M and at like 4th year of use it was not even able to power a system that needed max 450W.

It's an Akasa AK-P050FG8-BKUK PSU, hope that helps.
Your problem is probably power related. Just be sure to check your tempratures that are fine before the random shutdown because also high temparatures can cause it. Two times i experienced the same issue it was with the faulty TX850M PSU and with a PCI-e riser cable that was not able to provide enough power to the GPU. This time pick a decent quality PSU from brands like Seasonic,EVGA,Corsair,Superflower and have all the proper cables you need.

If your psu had only one pcie x6 connector, it was not designed to output more.
A graphics stress test is when the power demands will be highest.
The only way to confirm a psu issue is to replace with a known good psu and see if the problem goes away.
Borrow one if you can to test with.
If that is not possible, buy a replacement from a shop with a good return policy.
Expect a 15% restocking fee if you need to return it.

Consider a psu purchase as a long term investment.
It is one of the few "future proof" pc purchases you can make.
It will last for several generations of builds.
Buy a quality 650 or 750w psu.
It will only consume the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.
Buy a tier 1/2, no less than 3 unit from a list such as this:

I like the seasonic focus units.

Solution