[SOLVED] Is my PSU reducing my computer's gaming perfomance?

z0mbiE

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
I've been playing Counter Strike: Global Offensive (CSGO) for a very long time. I do have an old computer but I used to get from 65/90 FPS without any issue.

Some months ago, my PSU broke down and I fixed it after a month. My old and current PSU is 500W. But the problem is after buying a new PSU, I started to get around 25/30 FPS in the same settings.

I've tried reinstalling windows, specially going back to Windows 7, reinstalling the game, verifying the game files, changing the exec and quality settings but nothing helped.

So I'm posting here so someone might understand it and point it out what's the main problem. Is it the game or my PSU? Personally I don't think that it's the games problem because it had multiple updates after me buying the new PSU. Should I buy a new PSU or try something else?

Solution
id say both but most likely windows even if your running intergrated graphics plus just cause it ran well at the beginning doesnt mean it wont lag like hell in other portions of a game.
I installed CoD Modern Warfare, the classic one. It lagged like hell.But it didn't before. And mainly I only play that 1 game :'3

generic non brand power supplys arent good they lie about the wattage they can provide

some actually are a bit more honest like kolink which says 400w max power draw on some of there psu but regular power only 300w

also you say your running it without a graphics card ? even if its old its no wonder its choppy

Reactions: jonnyguru

z0mbiE

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
also you say your running it without a graphics card ? even if its old its no wonder its choppy

the things is I've played other games like Cod, Battlefield, Far Cry. It didn't lag before. Not even a single bit but right now its unplayable in the same settings. And recently I've heard that users of Windows 10 is facing some performance issues. That's where my question lies. The problem I'm facing, is it because of the PSU or the Windows?