[SOLVED] Is my PSU still safe?

vanGenne

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Hi,

I'll keep it short: my PC suddenly turned off mid-game and I could smell something burning. I figured out that it was my GPU, and the system is now running on integrated graphics.

The GPU was 5.5 years old (EVGA GTX780), so it was time for a replacement anyway. However, I'm not happy about the fact that it just burned out on me, so I'm thinking maybe something else is wrong here. I don't want to burn a couple of hundred euros just for the new card to die on me in a similar fashion. So my question is, how do I verify that my PSU is still safe for intense gaming use?

Extra info:
Build;
MoBo - AsRock Z87 Extreme4
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX780 SC (not overclocked)
CPU - i5-4670K (only mildly overclocked, I didn't win the silicon lottery)
PSU - Corsair CS750M
RAM - 4x4GB Corsair vengeance DDR3
Storage - 1x Barracuda HDD 2TB, 2x SSD (1 for windows, 1 for games)

The entire build is 5.5 years old, one of the SSDs and 2 sticks of RAM are newer. Not that that matters probably.

I was planning to just replace my GPU, but now I'm thinking of maybe doing a whole new build. Is my PSU still safe you think? What way can I test this?

Thanks!

edit: I did find more dust in my GPU than I was comfortable with once I had taken it out, could that be it?

vanGenne

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Update: I took the GPU apart, one of the "R33 capacitors" was blackened and clearly at fault. Anyone know what that means/does? As in, do I need to invest 100 euro+ in a new PSU?

vanGenne

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
What type of GPU you looking to buy? It sounds like your failure was a faulty component on the GPU itself. Your PSU should still be fine.
I'm looking at the RX 5700 XT Nitro+, it's probably the best I can afford and my monitor has FreeSynch anyway :)
I'm looking into ways to test my PSU, but for some reason OCCT won't install.. I would really like to make sure my PSU won't fry my pretty new card...

edit: running OCCT as we speak, but I don't expect it to be able to stress test my PSU without a dedicated GPU installed. What are the odds my new graphics card will be toasted by a potentially faulty PSU?

Last edited: