Is my PSU sufficient for R9 270X?

Jiggyboo

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
The question follows the title.
Will my PSU be able to support R9 270X? I believe it's a 500w, and the rest of the spec is the following(which is written on the side): +3.3v = 29A, +5v = 31A, +12v = 21A, -12v = 0.5A, +5Vsb = 2.5A. I have no idea how these numbers work. Oh also my PSU only has only one 6pin connector, so I'm planning to get a converter for an additional 6pin connected to the long 4pin. My CPU right now is i3-2120 and i'm also running 3 case fans(two of them small, and one being kinda bigger than the other two) if that even matters. 2 x 2gB of RAM. Help will be much appreciated! :)

Solution

spend for $40-50 at least to save all components in your build. Looks like you got a cheap psu with you, which can burn down or blow up $200 gpu and rest components of your pc. Don't ever get a bad psu. So best is to put some money and gain the life expectancy of your pc components.

brarboy

Honorable
i am worried that your psu won't be able to provide sufficient current for your gpu as minimum Amps recommended for R9 270X @+12V rail are 23A, however your psu has 21A. Some psu don't provide as much Amps as they have specified on their psu so the bare minimum value is increased to 23A. Yet your psu will be good in terms of wattage. Rest things will depend on your quality components in your psu. I would suggest you get better psu so you don't put your other peripherals to risk with the psu you have specified.

Jiggyboo

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
will getting the 270 instead of the 270x make any difference? I shouldn't be a cheapo and get a new PSU along with the 270X, I just don't feel like spending more than I expected.

Pultrax

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
It should be.. but if you want to be sure buy another 600W for around $60, a Corsair CX600 would be good enough.. I wouldn't suggest an AMD GPU because of it's drivers, you better get an Nvidia GTX 750Ti instead for the same money.. Think of it?

brarboy

Honorable

spend for $40-50 at least to save all components in your build. Looks like you got a cheap psu with you, which can burn down or blow up $200 gpu and rest components of your pc. Don't ever get a bad psu. So best is to put some money and gain the life expectancy of your pc components.

Solution

brarboy

Honorable

once again, don't just get a psu, check it's reliability, quality and stability. Get a better 500watt psu instead of 600watts and don't forget to check it's +12V rail providing more than at least minimum of 24A current.
Good luck :)

Jiggyboo

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014

Thank you, I will take a look into your link! :)

Jiggyboo

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
Hey, guys I just found this PSU called ZM600-LX(here's the link: http://www.game-debate.com/psu/index.php?ps_id=1308&psu=Zalman%20ZM600-LX) How's this PSU? It's in the list in the link of yours, Someone Somewhere.

brarboy

Honorable

that is great psu which is tier 2 brand. If you are getting it, go for it.