JoMo87

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
I just got the new GTX 670 FTW from EVGA. Got excited to hook it up, however, I can't play any games. Here's my current build:

Intel I7-860 2.8 Ghz
ASUS Maximus III Formula Motherboard
850W Azza Dynamo (Came with case)
AZZA Case
GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW
1TB SAMSUNG HDD and 120GB Intel 520 SSD
ODD: Generic lightscribe DVD-RW
RAM: 8GB G-skill DDR3 1600 Mhz

I've been reading up on the rail vs multi-rail within PSU, and was wondering if that could be my issue. My symptoms are reboot whenever I try to get into a 3D Application. All drivers have been installed and re-installed for Nvidia. I removed all my ATI drivers. The PSU comes with 4x PCI express 6-pin (2x 6+2 pin) so I imagined it would hold enough via the +12V Rail. On the box it says requires a minimum of 38 amps on the +12V rail. The specs on the PSU are +3.3V@24A, +5V@32A, +12V1@18A, +12V2@18A, +12V3@20A, +12V4@22A,-12V@0.5A, +5VSB@2.0A. On paper there should be more than sufficient power to feed this beast; however, every time I load a game I get a reboot within seconds. I've used temp monitors, and nothing has been over heated. I had my CPU overclocked, but defaulted that to see if I had something that was pulling too much power, but then after reading it seems kind of silly since it's on several different rails.

There are no dmp files either, I've tried running whocrashed after each reboot. There's just the Critical Error 41 of sudden loss of power. Also, another note, this isn't the first time I've had this kind of issue. Even with my 6870 that I had installed prior to this, there would be instances when I would boot a game and as soon as it got to doing actual gpu work it would reboot. This was on rare occurrences, though, and was usually remedied by the time my computer had completely rebooted. I don't have any other power supply to throw in to test my system, so I was hoping to get a sufficient amount of feed back before biting the bullet. Then again, I'm rather impatient and may buy one despite my doubts. So far, I've been able to do everything except play my games, so I might be able to put it off. It's weird because I can still watch videos and do day to day tasks.

If I do need a new power supply, any suggestions? I'd prefer anything above 650W seeing as I might try to SLI this thing in the future if I ever needed the upgrade.

Thanks all, in advance, for the replies and time spent reading/writing about this post.

Event ID 41....I hate it. Mos tof the times that I've dealt with it the jbottom issue was related to power or drivers. Is it any game or only certain games that cause the shutdown? Have you reseated the GPU and the power connections? Have you tried running a stress test on the PC...an instance of Prime95 on each CPU core and Furmark simultaneously?

TRENDING THREADS