[SOLVED] Is my psu the real issue?

May 2, 2020
PCU: Amd 5 2600
GPU: Rx 580
Mobo: ASRock B450M-hdv
RAM: Corsair 8Gb
PSU: Segotep 550W

I recently built my first pc. All was good untill I tried to boot it. The leds on the fans flashed for a second, but the fans weren't spinning. I maked sure that every single component and cable is where is shout be, and connencted properly. I also tried to switch the ram from one slot to another, but still, it wasn't working.
Should I buy a better psu? I don't know what to do

Last edited:
Solution
Now, one can't say for sure that the PSU is the problem in this exact situation, but if it isn't, you can't diagnose another problem with a junk PSU in the mix; that junk PSU will always be the first suspect.

Even if you don't know which brands are just bottom-tier power supplies, seeing "max power" on a PSU is a red-dead giveaway. No reputable power supply will sell the wattage as the "maximum" power. Other tells of a low-quality power supply include when the amps under 12V, when multiplied by 12, give you a very low number compared to the claimed output.

This PSU should be returned if possible and if not, contact your local garbage collection company to see their policies for electronic recycling.

The are very few things as...
PCU: Amd 5 2600
GPU: Rx 580
Mobo: ASRock B450M-hdv
RAM: Corsair 8Gb
PSU: Segotep 550W

I recently built my first pc. All was good untill I tried to boot it. The leds on the fans flashed for a second, but the fans weren't spinning. I maked sure that every single component and cable is where is shout be, and connencted properly. I also tried to switch the ram from one slot to another, but still, it wasn't working.
Should I buy a better psu? I don't know what to do
Before you go exchanging parts, go through this checklist to make sure you didn't make a mistake. Also, list the model number of your Segotep PSU.
No Boot Checklist

Reactions: Freisterr_
May 2, 2020
I never heard of the brand so on a wim i would say yes
Before you go exchanging parts, go through this checklist to make sure you didn't make a mistake. Also, list the model number of your Segotep PSU.
No Boot Checklist
I read it carefully 1 day ago, and everything looked fine to me, I even reasambled the pc (i thought i did something wrong and i did't realize where) My 550W psu is the only model from that brand with 550. It is called GTR-550 Thank you for the link tho!

I read it carefully 1 day ago, and everything looked fine to me, I even reasambled the pc (i thought i did something wrong and i did't realize where) My 550W psu is the only model from that brand with 550. It is called GTR-550 Thank you for the link tho!
I can't say for sure the PSU is the problem but it only outputs 33 amps on the +12 volt rail making it effectively a 400 watt power supply. Misleading labels like this are a sign of a lower quality model. I think it should at least be able to boot if everything is connected correctly, but it's possible the PSU is the problem. A good quality 550 watt power supply should be able to supply close to its full rated output on the +12volt rail which would be close to 45 amps where yours is only 33 amps.

May 2, 2020
I can't say for sure the PSU is the problem but it only outputs 33 amps on the +12 volt rail making it effectively a 400 watt power supply. Misleading labels like this are a sign of a lower quality model. I think it should at least be able to boot if everything is connected correctly, but it's possible the PSU is the problem. A good quality 550 watt power supply should be able to supply close to its full rated output on the +12volt rail which would be close to 40 amps where yours is only 33 amps.
I think you're right. There is a website where you cand find out how much W does your PC needs (aproximatelly). I got somewhere between 320-350W needed. Now that u said that my 550W PSU is actually a 400W one, it kinda makes sense

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Now, one can't say for sure that the PSU is the problem in this exact situation, but if it isn't, you can't diagnose another problem with a junk PSU in the mix; that junk PSU will always be the first suspect.

Even if you don't know which brands are just bottom-tier power supplies, seeing "max power" on a PSU is a red-dead giveaway. No reputable power supply will sell the wattage as the "maximum" power. Other tells of a low-quality power supply include when the amps under 12V, when multiplied by 12, give you a very low number compared to the claimed output.

This PSU should be returned if possible and if not, contact your local garbage collection company to see their policies for electronic recycling.

The are very few things as expensive as a cheap PSU.

Solution
May 2, 2020

The are very few things as expensive as a cheap PSU.
Broo I'm dying😂😂😂 . Today i returned it, like my friends told me to (i wasn't sure, that's why i asked you guys). This time I'll take a corsair cv550 80+ bronze!

The CV isn't a good unit either, but it's still better than that trash Segotep PSU. That's not an outstanding feat, though. I wish you would've asked what to buy. A Be Quiet System Power 9 would be a better option, and they generally come at the same price as the CV PSUs.

They're both group regulated which means that voltage regulation would be not good to terrible. Not appropriate for a PC with any dGPU.
There're different qualities of group regulated PSUs. Some completely trash, some are OK. All of them are trash on unbalanced loads, but to say "Not appropriate for a PC with any dGPU" is an overstatement. It depends on what GPU is used and the actual platform the PSU is based on.

May 2, 2020
The CV isn't a good unit either, but it's still better than that trash Segotep PSU. That's not an outstanding feat, though. I wish you would've asked what to buy. A Be Quiet System Power 9 would be a better option, and they generally come at the same price as the CV PSUs.

There're different qualities of group regulated PSUs. Some completely trash, some are OK. All of them are trash on unbalanced loads, but to say "Not appropriate for a PC with any dGPU" is an overstatement. It depends on what GPU is used and the actual platform the PSU is based on.
Thank you, but do you have any other suggestion? Be quiet isn't in the stock :((

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
"Not appropriate for a PC with any dGPU" is an overstatement. It depends on what GPU is used and the actual platform the PSU is based on.

Okay with smth like GT1030 which doesn't require additional PCI-e power cable and draws about 30W it would be fine. OP's GPU, RX580 draws 200W easily, tell me what group regulated PSU would be good enough for it ? Like, yeah, some of them would be still in specs under 200-250W 12V load + 30W minor rails load but barely, like 4-5% off nominal and if we take very low load situations into equation things would be even worse.

What about Deepcool DQ550ST?

It's good.

Thank you, but do you have any other suggestion? Be quiet isn't in the stock :((
I was going to suggest Super Flower Leadex Silver or FSP Raider II Silver. These two are cheaper than the CX in my country. I am surprised that you can get a DQ550ST for less than a CX. Now that's a bargain. Congrats!

OP's GPU, RX580 draws 200W easily, Tell me what group regulated PSU would be good enough for it?

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-vs450-power-supply,6076-2.html

I don't know many, The VS 450 is within 3% with 36A on the 12V and 1 A each on the minor rails. That's a similar platform to the CV. I'm pretty sure Seasonic's S12III would do just fine as well. But they are dumb choices to buy when you see PSUs like be quiet system power 9 cheaper.