Question Is my R9 380 officially dead?

Jan 4, 2021
So I've had my old R9 380 4GB for almost 5 years now but last few weeks, it has been behaving strangely. When it was on certain load, the screen was flickering/glitching and only changing some in-game settings like v-sync etc. fixed that for a few minutes (which is very odd).

But now, I was playing a game and out of nowhere, the screen went black (not sure if it was accompanied by flickering again or not). The computer was still running but the monitor showed no signal from GPU. So I restarted my computer and still nothing. Therefore I told myself – "This is it, the silicon heaven awaits you." I got up, started my compressor and blew out some dust from the case, card's fans and so on. Turned it on again and still nothing. Only my integrated graphics card works but not the dedicated one.

After turning the computer on, only the led strip glows but that's it, no spinning fans. I tried different HDMI cable and also a VGA-DVI cable but still nothing (and yes, these cables were connected directly to my graphic card). I also put the card into my friend's computer but I got the same result. Therefore the last hope was my oven, however, the result is same.

Thank you for answers in advance.

So I've had my old R9 380 4GB for almost 5 years now but last few weeks, it has been behaving strangely. When it was on certain load, the screen was flickering/glitching and only changing some in-game settings like v-sync etc. fixed that for a few minutes (which is very odd).

But now, I was playing a game and out of nowhere, the screen went black (not sure if it was accompanied by flickering again or not). The computer was still running but the monitor showed no signal from GPU. So I restarted my computer and still nothing. Therefore I told myself – "This is it, the silicon heaven awaits you." I got up, started my compressor and blew out some dust from the case, card's fans and so on. Turned it on again and still nothing. Only my integrated graphics card works but not the dedicated one.

After turning the computer on, only the led strip glows but that's it, no spinning fans. I tried different HDMI cable and also a VGA-DVI cable but still nothing (and yes, these cables were connected directly to my graphic card). I also put the card into my friend's computer but I got the same result. Therefore the last hope was my oven, however, the result is same.

Same thing happened to me in march,and it was the psu.

When I was troubleshooting my last dead GPU I tried the quiet bios (the card had a switch for performance/silent modes) also took the heatsink off and repasted it, noticed around the VRM area the PCB was kind of stained looking I think from heat.
Uninstalled the drivers in safe mode, couldn't finish the installion of drivers in normal mode.
I never got it to work in the end.

TRENDING THREADS