Is my Radeon R9 270 Battlefield 1 having issues with Battlefield 1?

benjaminbaker85

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
Hi there! I've been reading this forum for years, finally got myself an account. I'm not a newb to PC gaming, but I'm at a bit of a loss here. First thing is first: I have had a couple of strange crashes. For example, I had a crash happen when simply watching Doctor Who on VLC Media Player, but just a few hours I had been playing Titanfall at max settings. I saw no significant spikes in CPU or GPU temp on Hardware monitor, Speed Fan or CPU-Z. Under stress tests I find no voltage drops or spikes, or temperature changes that would cause a crash.

However, when I play Battlefield 1 I have periodical delays. I've tried modifying the UI settings, the resolution, locking the frame rate, everything, but I still have a stutter. Every once in a while (every 20-30 seconds or so), everything lags for just a moment, then catches up. I've also had unbelievably long load times when in Fullscreen mode. I'm wondering if my GPU is the problem, but all my research indicates that a Powercolor R9 270x 2GB DDR5 should handle BF1 no problem. I've updated all drivers, everything I can possibly think of. My system specs are below.

Once more: despite lowering my settings, OC'ing my processor, I'm having these awful bigs of lag playing Battlefield 1, despite having no problems with Battlefront, Titanfall 2, Doom, anything else. If it IS my GPU do you have any suggestions as to a cheap upgrade? Maybe have 150 to 175 to spend if ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

Thanks so much everyone!

AMD FX-8320 Vishera 8 Core 3.5ghz (OCd to 4.0)
Powercolor R9 Radeon
270 Direct X 11.2 @GBD5
Rosewill ARM650 ARC Series
ASUS 970 Aura Mobo
WD Blue 1TB HD
Sandisk 240 GB SSD
16 Gig of Ram (Fury)

(Double posted to System forum as well)

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from benjaminbaker85 : "Is My Hardware Affecting BF1?"

benjaminbaker85

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012

Yes I have. As a matter of fact the reason it took me so long to respond was I did it one more time. This time a few minutes after I restarted I got a blue screen with white horizontal lines of varying lengths all over the place. Now I'm seeing that the driver only updated to version 15. This was using AMD updater. I had uninstalled everything and reinstalled it. I do not understand why crimson doesn't download the most recent driver. Battlefield says it needs 16 .12 or more. I just tried to do manual searches and I can't find anything for the Radeon R9 270 with Windows 8.1.

benjaminbaker85

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
So I went into BIOS and went back to optimized defaults and restarted. I should also mention that when I restarted after the blue screen I tried to give me a boot device error. When I restarted again I did not get it.

benjaminbaker85

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
Okay I actually got myself a copy of IOBit. It's recognizing a lot that driver assist missed, and downloaded two drivers that Driver assist claimed were unavailable. I'll be back with updated information after I have checked EVERY driver. The first one to really make my eyebrows go up was my PCI Express slot driver. Apparently it was massively outdated, and even money says that could very easily be the cause of those hiccups. If I don't have the right drivers for my PCI slots then it follows that the most updated driver for my video card might not function. Let's see how this goes.

benjaminbaker85

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012

Okay, I have updated ALL of my drivers, including the PCIe. Now my USB 3.0 ports don't work. Sigh. Anyway, still having the same problem. I have it windowed, I have it at half UI and half res, all low. But the delays happen even in the MENU. I didn't notice that before, somehow. Even the background image (the sparks), I noticed will move smoothly, then hesitate, then catch up. This is unusual. I've had this problem before and it's been drivers, or it's been an inadequate GPU, but my friend has almost the exact same setup as me (Save he has a Gigabit mobo and 8 gigs LESS RAM) and he's happily blasting away.