[SOLVED] Is my ram compatible to run 3600Mhz on ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac187

Commendable
Nov 4, 2020
I have this setup on my gaming machine:

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING Socket-AM4
GPU: PowerColor RX 5700 XT OC
CPU:Ryzen 7 3700X
CPU Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum 280mm cooling
SSD: Corsair MP400 512 GB M.2 SSD
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB 3600MHz (https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ.../Vengeance-PRO-RGB-Black/p/CMW16GX4M2C3600C18)
PSU: Cooler Master Elite V4 600W

When I check which speed my ram is running on I see that I have 2666Mhz. But my ram can do up to 3600Mhz.
I am not pro on this so I would be happy if anyone can tell me if I can increase my RAM speed or not? Is it compatible with my motherboard to increase size without broken my machine?
What is the maximum speed Mhz can I run and how can I do it?
I dont want to loose my warranty on my machine.

Thank you for help! And please.. I want some professional people on here to give me advice. Can i increase? should I do it? Should I not do it?

Solution
That means the RAM will not run at 3600 using DOCP.
So you will need to clear the CMOS like this:
Unplug the PC (PSU).
Then press the Power Button for at least 30 seconds.
Use a flat headed screwdriver to short the CLR CMOS (CLRTC) Jumper (Touch both jumper pins with the screwdriver) for at least 15 seconds.
CLRTC jumper location can be seen on page 1-2 here:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ING/E14401_ROG_STRIX_B450-F_GAMING_UM_WEB.pdf
Plug the PC back in.
Press the Power Button to turn the PC on.
Repeatedly tap the DEL key
A screen should come up telling you to press the F1 key, do that.
Set the Optimized Default settings and Press OK (this is on the EXIT tab)
Save and exit the BIOS.
Tap the...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB 3600MHz (https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ.../Vengeance-PRO-RGB-Black/p/CMW16GX4M2C3600C18)

When I check which speed my ram is running on I see that I have 2666Mhz. But my ram can do up to 3600Mhz.
I am not pro on this so I would be happy if anyone can tell me if I can increase my RAM speed or not? Is it compatible with my motherboard to increase size without broken my machine?

Thank you for help! And please.. I want some professional people on here to give me advice. Can i increase? should I do it? Should I not do it?
Boot into BIOS and enable DOCP for the memory.

It defaults to a lower speed until you make the BIOS changes.

Your 3700X officially supports up to 3200MHz so no guarantee you can achieve the rated frequency.
You will have to Manually input your SPD values in Bios as 3600MHz is above JDEC standards.
No damage will be done to try however do not exceed the recommended DIMM Voltage.

Actually I built a few 3700X with 3600MHz RAM and no manual settings was done. You activate the XMP/DOCP profile and the RAM go to 3600MHz.

I never saw a Zen 2 having issues going to 3600MHz unless it's mixing ram or just ram that isn't on the qvl list of the board.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
The Asus ROG Strix B450-F does support 3600 RAM when using a Ryzen 3700x.
3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Processors
4 x DIMM, Max. 128GB, DDR4 3600(O.C.)/3466(O.C.)/3400(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666/2400/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory

But Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM kits have a history of NOT running at their rated speed on Ryzen rigs.
So, I would look into other brands that are more reliable with Ryzen if you don't already have that RAM kit.
Like G.Skill, Crucial or Patriot.

And as stated above you need to enable the DOCP profile in the BIOS in the AI Tweaker section of the BIOS.

Last edited:
I built over a dozen Ryzen systems with LPX RAM with 0 issues on all of them. LPX RAM are the most compatible and sold RAM on amazon. They work with Intel and AMD just perfectly.

On the dozen system all XMP/DOCP profile worked the first time.

Even better. The LPX RAM are often Samsung B-DIE.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I built over a dozen Ryzen systems with LPX RAM with 0 issues on all of them. LPX RAM are the most compatible and sold RAM on amazon. They work with Intel and AMD just perfectly.

On the dozen system all XMP/DOCP profile worked the first time.

Even better. The LPX RAM are often Samsung B-DIE.
While I am sure that is true for you, they are also the RAM that is posted about most here and on other tech forums for NOT running at their rated speeds on Ryzen rigs.
And all Samsung B die are Not created equal.
The Samsung B die used in the higher CL kits is lower binned than the excellently binned C14 kits.
I have a Samsung B die 3200 kit that is rated for 3200 16-18-18-18-38 and they are definitely low binned B dies and do NOT OC anywhere near as well as the top binned B dies do.
And just because Amazon sells a LOT of them does NOT make them the most compatible RAM.

Last edited:

mac187

Commendable
Nov 4, 2020
The Asus ROG Strix B450-F does support 3600 RAM when using a Ryzen 3700x.

But Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM kits have a history of NOT running at their rated speed on Ryzen rigs.
So, I would look into other brands that are more reliable with Ryzen if you don't already have that RAM kit.
Like G.Skill, Crucial or Patriot.

And as stated above you need to enable the DOCP profile in the BIOS in the AI Tweaker section of the BIOS.

Ok. It wont harm my computer? Or affect CPU or heat ? I am not pro on this, but I want to increase my FPS :)

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Unplug the PC (PSU).
Use a flat headed screwdriver to short the CLR CMOS (CLRTC) Jumper (Touch both jumper pins with the screwdriver) for at least 15 seconds.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ING/E14401_ROG_STRIX_B450-F_GAMING_UM_WEB.pdf
Plug the PC back in.
Save and exit the BIOS.
Tap the DEL key again to enter the BIOS and change any settings you want changed then save and exit again.

Once it boots properly again try setting the DOCP profile BUT then set the DRAM Frequency to 2933 and see if that boots.
If it does then set the DRAM Frequency to 3200 and see if that boots.
Then try 3400, then 3466 and use whatever speed is highest and also boots.

Solution

mac187

Commendable
Nov 4, 2020
Unplug the PC (PSU).
Plug the PC back in.
Save and exit the BIOS.
Tap the DEL key again to enter the BIOS and change any settings you want changed then save and exit again.

Once it boots properly again try setting the DOCP profile BUT then set the DRAM Frequency to 2933 and see if that boots.
If it does then set the DRAM Frequency to 3200 and see if that boots.
Then try 3400, then 3466 and use whatever speed is highest and also boots.

Ok, i hope i dont destory anything. But are you sure this will work? I dont want to loose warranty on my PC :( But if you sure this will work I need to give it a try :)
But is this the only way to do it?

mac187

Commendable
Nov 4, 2020
Yes it will work.
I have that same MB and had to clear CMOS exactly like that a few times when I was Overclocking my CPU and RAM.
I ended up with my 3200 RAM running at 3400 by setting DOCP to 3200 and then using a 3400 DRAM Frequency.
Like this:
View: https://imgur.com/blsfovA

But your RAM might only run at 2933 or 3200 or so.
You won't know for sure until you try.

Ok, thank you. I will give it a try and update you if it works :)

mac187

Commendable
Nov 4, 2020
@DMAN999 , do i need to do the process with screwdriver each time I do change, to find out which ram speed it does boot on? For example ill try with 3600Mhz. If its not working, then do with screw driver process again and try 3400MHz?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Here is a post from another forum from a user I trust to be honest:
I learnt something the other day from someone I know at Corsair that's involved in their memory products.
Apparently some LPX kits are suitable for AMD use, but Corsair doesn't really mark them specifically as such on the packaging.
There is some information on their website, but the key thing to look for, is a Z in the model name, such as CMK16GX4M2Z5000C18.
That means the kit should work with AMD. If you get a kit without the Z in the model name, it might not work.

mac187

Commendable
Nov 4, 2020
I have read on several places where people say that their B450-F motherboard are able to run their ram chip up to 3600Mhz. Is this true or not true? I have Ryzen 7 3700X CPU.
If true, then how?

I also checked the QVL list for 3rd gen CPU such as Ryzen 7 3700X CPU. I tried to find my ram chip serialnumber. It is CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18 . And the QVL list says that it supports 3600mhz speed. Or am I wrong?
This is the ram chip I have -> https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ.../Vengeance-PRO-RGB-Black/p/CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18.

I have tried to change the speed in the BIOS. Only able to run 3200Mhz. Above that my PC wont boot up.

Thanks for help!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.