[SOLVED] Is my ram compatible with my cpu / motherboard?

Jan 15, 2020
I have ballistix DDR4 2400mhz 2x4GB sticks type BLS4G4D240FSB but I keep getting DRAM light on my motherboard which leads to no usb and no display input. I have recently upgraded from INTEL cpu & mobo to AMD cpu and am4 motherboard and I searched for compatibility but my RAM is not listed there. I tested my gpu, power supply, on my old motherboard and it seems to work fine.

Should I buy a new ram? Is RAM the problem i'm getting DRAM issues? If so which one do u recommend?

old build which works fine:

MSI B250M Pro-VD
Intel Pentium G4560
ballistix 2400mhz 2x4gb
Msi GTX 780
Corsair VS650

new build:

Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
Ryzen 5 2600
ballistix 2400mhz 2x4gb <---- not working?
Msi GTX 780
Corsair VS650

Old thread:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/display-and-usb-not-working.3565230/

Besides the basic to power on, disconnect everything from motherboard even the PC case front I/O cables.
Make sure to unplug the power cord from the PSU while working with components.
Just leave the 24-pin ATX and 8-pin ATX power cables.
Disconnect the disks, and unplug all USB devices.
Leave only one stick of RAM, CPU and GPU. Check GPU and its power connector, they should be seated properly.
Make sure the Display is connected to the GPU, not the motherboard.
Power on the PC by shorting the power pins using a flat screwdriver. The power pins are the two pins where the case power button was connected on the motherboard.
If the motherboard power cycles by itself let do it and wait up to 5 minutes without interruptions.

Post results.

Jan 15, 2020
Besides the basic to power on, disconnect everything from motherboard even the PC case front I/O cables.
Make sure to unplug the power cord from the PSU while working with components.
Just leave the 24-pin ATX and 8-pin ATX power cables.
Disconnect the disks, and unplug all USB devices.
Leave only one stick of RAM, CPU and GPU. Check GPU and its power connector, they should be seated properly.
Make sure the Display is connected to the GPU, not the motherboard.
Power on the PC by shorting the power pins using a flat screwdriver. The power pins are the two pins where the case power button was connected on the motherboard.
If the motherboard power cycles by itself let do it and wait up to 5 minutes without interruptions.

Post results.

I disconnected everything but cpu, gpu and 1 stick of ram on A2, Everything runs ( fans, mobo leds ) but display is still not responding to the pc ( monitor puts itself in sleep mode even when its connected to the GPU ). By far nothing works and I'm really sure that the ram and gpu, psu and monitor works on my old build.

Jan 15, 2020
Since you already tried two PSUs, and everything else works then it could be incompatible RAM or a faulty motherboard.
Since you already tried two PSUs, and everything else works then it could be incompatible RAM or a faulty motherboard.

ill try to take it to the shop where they can check it with a different ram. it sucks to experience this but <Mod Edit> happens

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 29, 2020
I disconnected everything but cpu, gpu and 1 stick of ram on A2, Everything runs ( fans, mobo leds ) but display is still not responding to the pc ( monitor puts itself in sleep mode even when its connected to the GPU ). By far nothing works and I'm really sure that the ram and gpu, psu and monitor works on my old build.

When I did my build in 2015 i had the exact same problem. And again when I moved and connected my pc back to the wall. I fought for 3 days trying to figure out why my pc would turn on but nothing on the monitor would show. Still have no idea what it was I just disconnected every cord including hdmi over and over again until it worked all of a sudden. Probably doesnt help much, but at least you know theres another instance of this occurring.