[SOLVED] is my ram compatible with my MB ?

Jul 20, 2019
Hey guys . so i want to buy a new ram since the ram i'm using on my motherboard is not even mine but my friends
I have a asus prime Z270 a pro MB , a i5 6400 proc and a 8gb 2666hz corsair ram . I want to buy a new ram and it's reference is "CMK16GX4M2D3000C16" . it is the only available ram which is a vailable immediatly in my country and i don't have to wait 15 days.
When i was checking on the compatibily charts of my MB i didn't see this reference is the 3000hz section of corsair but this is the reference that i found "CMK16GX4M2B3000C15(Ver4.23)(XMP) " and since it's not the same that i want to buy i just want to make sure that it's compatible before buy it .

This is where i checked the compatibility : https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z270-A/PRIME-Z270-A_PRIME-Z270-AR_DRAM_QVL.pdf

Thank you in advance for your help !

Solution
That 3000mhz kit should run fine with that Z270 board.

The motherboard QVL lists are a waste of time to even look at. They are not a guarantee of ANY memory kit running at a specific speed, they ONLY guarantee that a listed kit will RUN, at ALL, on that board, and usually are only tested at the default speed of the motherboard and cpu combination.

If you want memory that is going to run at speeds higher than the default speed of the platform then it is ALWAYS going to be a gamble, although we have a very good general idea of what speeds and timings will work on which platforms, but that does not necessarily mean that a specific kit will even if it has before on similar hardware.

For you, those sticks should run fine on that board...
...i just want to make sure that it's compatible before buy it...
If that is truly your goal, you will only buy from your motherboard compatibility list.

i don't have to wait 15 days
If, however, this is your highest priority, then you can buy memory that is not on the compatibility list, and risk wasting your money.

The choice is yours.

Reactions: Diabloskillz
That 3000mhz kit should run fine with that Z270 board.

The motherboard QVL lists are a waste of time to even look at. They are not a guarantee of ANY memory kit running at a specific speed, they ONLY guarantee that a listed kit will RUN, at ALL, on that board, and usually are only tested at the default speed of the motherboard and cpu combination.

If you want memory that is going to run at speeds higher than the default speed of the platform then it is ALWAYS going to be a gamble, although we have a very good general idea of what speeds and timings will work on which platforms, but that does not necessarily mean that a specific kit will even if it has before on similar hardware.

For you, those sticks should run fine on that board AND at the rated speed of 3000mhz. That does not mean there is no chance that they won't however, and if you plan on mixing that memory with your existing memory then it's not only going to run at the slower speed of your current stick but it's also going to drastically increase the chances that they won't run at all.

Read this, and if you have further questions I'm sure any of us would be happy to answer them if it is something not explained in the guide.

Reactions: Diabloskillz
Solution
Jul 20, 2019
thanks you so much for your help .
and as i said the current ram installed on my pc is not mine , so i plan to remove the one installed and replace them with the 16 gb that i will buy so it should be good