[SOLVED] Is my RAM compatible with my mobo?

Apr 10, 2020
Hi. I decided on a pair of RAM but I'm not sure if it's compatible. I checked the RAM manufacturer's QVL and apparently the specific RAM model isn't on there. However I checked mobo compatibility through pcpartpicker and it listed the mobo as compatible. So I'm a little cofused. Here are the ram and mobo.

RAM: https://www.newegg.com/patriot-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820220977?Item=N82E16820220977

MOBO: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SY8CMTX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Solution
More then likely it will work as not everything that works is on the QVL, only the stuff ASRock has tested. Just make sure it's in the A2/B2 slots and that XMP is enabled in the Performance tab in the BIOS. Doing this will ensure the memory runs at the correct speed, voltage & timings. If it doesn't set the correct speed then a motherboard BIOS update may be required.

WildCard999

Titan
More then likely it will work as not everything that works is on the QVL, only the stuff ASRock has tested. Just make sure it's in the A2/B2 slots and that XMP is enabled in the Performance tab in the BIOS. Doing this will ensure the memory runs at the correct speed, voltage & timings. If it doesn't set the correct speed then a motherboard BIOS update may be required.

Solution

WildCard999

Titan
What would be the consequences if the RAM sticks don't work? Will it short out my motherboard or anything like that?
No it won't hurt the motherboard. The "worst" thing that'll happen is that the system won't boot but that's pretty rare. A more common issue is that the memory isn't running at the correct speed after XMP is enabled and the fix is updating the BIOS. (there's more info in the first post, I just couldn't edit it fast enough).

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
it should.
the QVL is most important immediately after the release of the motherboard. after a few revisions of the BIOS most if not all memory issues have been addressed, but with a brand new board the QVL is the safest bet, for board two years old many units on the QVL are not even available anymore. as was stated its just the units they had on-hand to test with BEFORE the board was released. no newer modules will be added to the QVL, with all that said the B450 has been out for a long while now and I suspect the type and speed are the only limiting factors for the vast majority of standard DDR4 modules.

QVL Qualified Vendors List

Apr 10, 2020
it should.
the QVL is most important immediately after the release of the motherboard. after a few revisions of the BIOS most if not all memory issues have been addressed, but with a brand new board the QVL is the safest bet, for board two years old many units on the QVL are not even available anymore. as was stated its just the units they had on-hand to test with BEFORE the board was released. no newer modules will be added to the QVL, with all that said the B450 has been out for a long while now and I suspect the type and speed are the only limiting factors for the vast majority of standard DDR4 modules
Will it take RAM with 3000 specifically fine? I heard this specific mobo has problems with RAM with 3000 and above.