Question Is my ram making my video games stutter?

Aug 3, 2019
Until about a month ago my PC ran most games smoothly at high settings. Recently games that used to work fine are now having issues. The issue: games work well for a while, then it stutters every second nonstop until i turn the game off and try again later. I dont know if it is because of my RAM or maybe some other issue.
Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k 3.5GHz Quad Core
GPU: GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozer
RAM is 2 sticks of 4 so 8GB total

christoffe93

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2013
Until about a month ago my PC ran most games smoothly at high settings. Recently games that used to work fine are now having issues. The issue: games work well for a while, then it stutters every second nonstop until i turn the game off and try again later. I dont know if it is because of my RAM or maybe some other issue.
Specs:
I've been having the exact same issue on PUBG and i also have the same GPU as you. If you're getting the same problem as me it will cause you no end off issues as it doesn't register as a fps drop First thing i would check is Vram usage as some game will use that up forcing your system to use cached memory which is basically system ram being used as backup vram. Because system ram is much more slower than vram you will notice the difference. To test this turn textures and post processing right down as these are the two main settings that hogs vram.

Aug 3, 2019
Until about a month ago my PC ran most games smoothly at high settings. Recently games that used to work fine are now having issues. The issue: games work well for a while, then it stutters every second nonstop until i turn the game off and try again later. I dont know if it is because of my RAM or maybe my GPU/ some other issue.
Specs:

What games are you playing, and what resolution?

I suspect it's one of two things.

1. System ram - Although you have 2 x 4gbs kit (which is good - dual channel mode) it's only 8gbs. Depending on the game (BF1/BFv, COD WW2/BO,) many new games use upward of 8gb during gaming at 1080p. When your ram fills up it then uses the swap/page file as a subsitute, and because the swap/page file is on your HD/SSD its much slower than actual system ram. This causes in games stuttering and FPS drops, as the system then begins to read some data from the HD/SSD rather than the much faster system ram.

2. Again, game dependant, and although the GTX970 4gb is still a decent gamer, some games like the ones I mentioned, but also others like Titanfall 2 use more than 3-4gbs vram at 1080p, and some games will dynamically allocate even more vram if the card has it. Like a 6/8/11/12gb GPU.

Apart from that, your CPU with a little OC is still a decent gamer too. Your system is just right on the edge of needing an upgrade, or a platform (base) change. i.e Mobo/CPU/ram.