Is my RAM or motherboard at fault?

RubbingAlcohol

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016
As a a starter im sorry if I dont make alot of sense, Im quite new to building pc's.

I just built a new gaming rig yesterday and all was going good until I powered the machine off, Upon trying to turn it back on all the fans started spinning but I got no video output the the moniter. I did all the routine checks (make sure everything is seated correctly, check for something causing a short etc)

Something I have done is everytime I take out a stick of ram (WORKS THE SAME WITH EACH STICK) and put it in another slot the pc will boot, Again when I turn it off it won't boot again, Something I have saw is take out everything but the cpu, psu and mobo to hear the "beeps", The problem is I dont hear any beeps as I dont think my mobo has a speaker?

This does not make much sense but I hope someone understands, Here are my specs anyway
MOBO: Gigabyte Z97P-D3 (BIOS F8)
CPU: i5-4690k
RAM: 2x4 Corsair Vengance 1600hz
PSU: Corsair CP-9020097-UK VS550 ATX/EPS Vs Series 80 Plus
HDD: Western Digital CB 1T

Nine Layer Nige

Honorable
Apr 7, 2014
does it boot up/shut down/boot up successfully only using a single stick of ram ?
if so, try the other stick and perform same test.
Try all 4 ram slots separately each with a single stick.
If both work ok as a single stick, then maybe the sticks are not matched.
Did you buy as a matched pair ?
It looks like there is a BIOS F9b (a beta version) which fixes memory compatibility problems, but you might want to wait for the proper F9 when it gets released

Nine Layer Nige

Honorable
Apr 7, 2014
does it boot up/shut down/boot up successfully only using a single stick of ram ?
if so, try the other stick and perform same test.
Try all 4 ram slots separately each with a single stick.
If both work ok as a single stick, then maybe the sticks are not matched.
Did you buy as a matched pair ?
It looks like there is a BIOS F9b (a beta version) which fixes memory compatibility problems, but you might want to wait for the proper F9 when it gets released

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS