[SOLVED] Is my Ram slot dead or what?

So i am using a real old pc with GA-945GCM S2L mobo i have 2gb of ram installed in. Currently my ram is placed in second slot when i swapped it to first slot my pc started beeping. It is a continuous short beep so its definitely ram issue putting back to slot 2 it works,however i have also notices sometime it works on 1st slot. How can i get this thing fixed since i want to upgrade to 4gb of ddr2 ram.

Solution
Yes i tried installing the same ram stick from slot 2 to slot 1 to check if my ram slot working,becausei have decided to buy 2 new ram stick which are sold in single channel only and thus i wanted to check my slot.And why is it that single channel works on 2nd slot ? i would like to learn.
BTW ram i have decided:https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00KG5QZKS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1QFJV05H9TXZX&psc=1
because its dual channel and if u mess with slots when u turn pc system check only one slot in case of single memory...if u put memory in another slot system dont see that slot is slave. single memory must be in master slot...that is shortly...look on motherboard some manufacture make letters or numbers a and b or 1 and 2

Lutfij

Titan
Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

Which BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? When trying to upgrade your ram, you should work with a kit, not mixing and matching. That being said, either buy the same stick of ram as you have now or invest in a dual channel ram kit.

Reactions: General Kenobi
Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

Which BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? When trying to upgrade your ram, you should work with a kit, not mixing and matching. That being said, either buy the same stick of ram as you have now or invest in a dual channel ram kit.
CPU: Pentium E5400
Mobo: GA 945GCM S2L(bios F7 )
Ram:Transcend 2gb ram 800mhz single stick
Hdd: 500gb Seagate
PSU: 450watt (included with case)

Well i am currently using a single stick ram which is installed in slot 2 when i install the ram in slot 1 i hear beeps.Well my bios is not the latest, F8d is latest bios version that gigabyte provides however thats a beta bios and was never completed by them.

dimtodim

Reputable
CPU: Pentium E5400
Mobo: GA 945GCM S2L(bios F7 )
Ram:Transcend 2gb ram 800mhz single stick
Hdd: 500gb Seagate
no bent pin :(

PSU: 450watt (included with case)

Well i am currently using a single stick ram which is installed in slot 2 when i install the ram in slot 1 i hear beeps.Well my bios is not the latest, F8d is latest bios version that gigabyte provides however thats a beta bios and was never completed by them.
did u buy 2gb more or just put memory form one slot to another?your mobo supports max 4bg ddr2 dual channel and single memory must be in slot 2

did u buy 2gb more or just put memory form one slot to another?your mobo supports max 4bg ddr2 dual channel and single memory must be in slot 2
Yes i tried installing the same ram stick from slot 2 to slot 1 to check if my ram slot working,becausei have decided to buy 2 new ram stick which are sold in single channel only and thus i wanted to check my slot.And why is it that single channel works on 2nd slot ? i would like to learn.
BTW ram i have decided:https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00KG5QZKS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1QFJV05H9TXZX&psc=1

Last edited:

dimtodim

Reputable
because its dual channel and if u mess with slots when u turn pc system check only one slot in case of single memory...if u put memory in another slot system dont see that slot is slave. single memory must be in master slot...that is shortly...look on motherboard some manufacture make letters or numbers a and b or 1 and 2

Solution