• Find an incredible deal for Black Friday or Cyber Monday? Share those epic bargains with the community by posting them in this forum thread!

Question Is my RAM stick the issue?

scratchmouse

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
Hi all

About a month ago I had some problems with my custom built PC when it started taking progressively longer and longer to boot into Windows 7. To cut a long story short, I eventually threw money at the problem and replaced the motherboard, CPU and RAM. The current specs are:

Intel Core i5-8400 2.8 GHz
MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE
Patriot Viper Elite 2 x 16GB
Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Crucial M550 256 GB 2.5" SSD
Asus GeForce GTX 970

I installed with an official Microsoft USB a copy of Windows 10 Home and for a month was all good. Then, a little fan cable extension kit arrived in the post and I used it to get the front case fan installed (it gets hot in Australia). I turn my PC on after this and get an error: "0xc000000f - A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed". Made sure everything was plugged in correctly and no difference. Eventually I do a fresh re-install of Windows 10 on the SSD and it works fine, except on every boot it tells me I have 2 versions of Windows 10 installed - one on volume 2 (which works fine) and one on volume 6 (which gives the error). So for a few days I ignore that and my PC still works okay. I can only find 4 volumes when I list them on DISKPART at this stage.

Last night my PC stops booting again. I eventually get it to system restore back to an earlier state and it boots but I figure maybe the SSD is dead. Also the PC at this point is taking a while to boot even to the BIOS let alone Windows. I try re-installing Windows again and suddenly I can't get past copying files across. I try each HD individually with the other disconnected and still nothing.

This morning I had booked a repair guy to come and look but I figured I'd have one last shot at it myself. Took out one of the new sticks of RAM and suddenly everything works fine - Windows reinstalled without a hitch and no more asking which operating system to load up.

I have since put my RAM stick back in and am now running MemTest86 - I'm 1:21 in on the 2nd pass and so far no errors at all. Is it possible that in installing the case fan I dislodged the RAM stick a little and caused all this? Or is it a dodgy stick that hasn't been detected by MemTest86 yet? Or am I missing something entirely?

Thanks for any help in advance, I have been scratching my head here for some time.

Proximon

Illustrious
Honestly before I got to the end I started worrying about rootkits. I think you should take steps to deal with that possibility.

That said, we who have built many computers have all experienced the phenomenon of doing some simple upgrade in a case and accidentally knocking a part loose.

You always have to be patient with memtest.

scratchmouse

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
Thanks for the reply Proximon. So I've had a little read about rootkits - I'm making sure my new Windows installation is up to date and also about to run Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit. Is there any other step I should take?

I did another 2 runs of MemTest86 and still no error, I intend to leave it on overnight to be sure.

I sincerely hope it was just merely knocking a part loose that caused all this!

Edit: ran the anti-rootkit and it didn't find anything

Last edited:
Reactions: Proximon

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS