Is my RAM underclocked by my motherboard?

ShaSem

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
I recently built my own computer. I have two sticks of 4GB 1866MHz Crucial Ballistix Tactical RAM (thus in total 8GB). When I recently benchmarked my computer, the benchmarking program (3DMark) showed me that I have two sticks of 4GB of 667MHz RAM. It isn't possible that the store where I bought my components made a mistake and gave me the wrong RAM, because there exists no 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical RAM of 667MHz.

So, what should I do? I know a motherboard can underclock its RAM. I had to boot the first time with only one stick of RAM. So, do I have to go into the BIOS and give my sticks RAM twice as much voltage or should I do something else?

Thanks!

Solution
You are using DDR that means double data rate so 667*2= 1334Mhz which is normal. You'll need to go in the BIOS and set the memory to the correct speed such as 933*2= 1866 for example. You should be able to do that without providing any additional voltage.

neieus

Distinguished
You are using DDR that means double data rate so 667*2= 1334Mhz which is normal. You'll need to go in the BIOS and set the memory to the correct speed such as 933*2= 1866 for example. You should be able to do that without providing any additional voltage.

Solution

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Whenever you first install DRAM it boots to the mobos default which is generally 1333 (wher you are at) on Intel mobos, go into the BIOS and enable XMP, select profile 1 and should be at 1866, if on AMD go into BIOS and look for DOCP, EOCP or XMP enable that and select 1866, if those aren't available may have to set up manually if so, let us know the mobo and CPU models

ShaSem

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

Sorry, I made a mistake: I did actually mean DDR3.