Is my RAM working correctly? (not running in dual channel)

Jake_2

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015
4JHoMZ4.png

Top panel is XMP off, bottom is XMP on- the top 2 and 3 pictures were the same for XMP on.

I bought a new stick of corsair vengeance ram to get up to 16gb RAM, but it doesn't seem to be running in dual channel. MOBO is ASUS PRIME Z370-P and ram is installed in slots A1 and A2, which are right next to each other. I tried alternating to begin with, placing it in the B2 slot but got stuck in a boot loop.

Any advice?

Manual for the MOBO is here https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z370-P/E13411_PRIME_Z370-P_UM_WEB.pdf?_ga=2.148789744.693656670.1548859938-622058136.1548859938

Memory modules sold as Singles have no guarantee to work in any configuration other than as a Single module. Use of same thing, identical, exact match may increase odds of memory working together instead of using random modules, but have no guarantee to be compatible together.

XMP rated settings are also for memory in the form sold.

Your photos show two different brands of memory which would be unlikely to be compatible together. You can make any combinations you want and can do your own compatibility testing with no guarantees.

What is guaranteed is memory in the form sold. Use of a single kit is recommended.

Workarounds to get extra memory to work include:
Lower memory clock speed
Relax DRAM timings
Increase DRAM voltage

The Part numbers are completely different and the CAS latency is way off.

These probably wont run Dual as they are so different.

It is always advised to by RAM in pairs, as buying them singularly you can run into problems like this.

Jake_2

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015

Does this mean I should sell one, and buy another of the same stick? does it make a difference which stick I get another of?

Jake_2

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015

I've got them to work in Dual channel by putting one in B1, and the other in A2, which are slots 2 and 3 according to CPUz. The NB frequency and DRAM frequency are the same as the OP pics however, which I take it means they're not running at 3000mhz?

Ok thats good, the motherboard seems to have sorted things out. Do you have XMP on now? if not turn it on.