[SOLVED] Is my router causing the internet to go out for 30seconds randomly throughout the day?

Worius

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2016
I have only one PC connected to it with LAN.
It doesn't matter how much internet usage there is.
It happens mostly 2-3 times a day.
I had one morning where it kept going on and off for about 20 minutes. I also called my ISP and they confirmed that my connecting is going off and said that they will check it. Days later, nothing fixed.

Randomly, throughout the day I lose the connection as it goes:
  1. My internet goes off
  2. A second later, it comes back on for a fraction
  3. Internet goes off again
  4. Followed by a complete signal cut off (I don't see red or green light on the wan indicator)
  5. Couple of seconds after, it becomes red which means that I have connection but internet doesn't work
  6. 30+ seconds, it comes back
Sometimes it just goes red for a second and comes back to normal with no follow up to anything.
Sometimes it also repeats the cycle twice.

I tried using another router, which is pretty old(TP-LINK WR340G) but it's SYS(tem?) indicator keeps blinking and when I plug my ethernet cable into it, the WAN indicator blinks as well. Yes, I am 100% sure that passwords are correct. And it just doesn't connect to the internet.

ISP confirms that I lose full signal as well.
Is it my router or something up with my ISP?
It's been happening for weeks now

I'm using:
TP-LINK Wireless N Gigabit Router WR1043ND
I don't have any other modems. From the wall ethernet cable, to the router, to the PC.

Solution
Buying a new router is easier than installing a new cable? Well, unfortunately what is easiest isn't always what's needed and I think in this case it's probably going to be impossible to tell with any amount of certainty that the router is the problem without first replacing the obviously modified cable. Any testing done to determine the router is faulty will be skewed if the cable is bad. Simple as that.
WHO is your ISP?

Are you on cable or DSL?

Do you have a router AND a cable modem, or only a DSL router modem combination unit?

Has your ISP sent a technician to your location to do a signal quality check of the cable itself, because if not, that is probably what FIRST needs to happen.

Worius

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2016
WHO is your ISP?

Are you on cable or DSL?

Do you have a router AND a cable modem, or only a DSL router modem combination unit?

Has your ISP sent a technician to your location to do a signal quality check of the cable itself, because if not, that is probably what FIRST needs to happen.

ISP is "vimtv". It's a bulgarian ISP, so I'm not sure you would be able to find much info about them.
I don't have a cable modem as I said, from the wall, to the router, to the PC.
It should be an ethernet cable.
Here is how the cable looks like: View: https://imgur.com/a/a5UdIjp

It worked fine for years now.. It only started a couple of weeks ago.
It looks like it happens when I'm using a lot of data as in when I'm playing a multiplayer game. Not completely certain though.
They did come over and check the cable/electricity box in front of my house the first time I called but I'm not sure if they bothered doing it again.

Worius

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2016
I think the first thing I'd do is get a new ethernet cable. That one looks like it's been cobbled together or repaired.
I understand but I don't really have an easy way to do so. It is way simpler to buy a new router than to install a new cable. That's why I want to know if its my router or not.
I can also confirm that it doesn't matter how much data I use.
It looks repaired as it was repaired because it had it's part that pushes it from the back so it can get pinched into the PC broken.

Buying a new router is easier than installing a new cable? Well, unfortunately what is easiest isn't always what's needed and I think in this case it's probably going to be impossible to tell with any amount of certainty that the router is the problem without first replacing the obviously modified cable. Any testing done to determine the router is faulty will be skewed if the cable is bad. Simple as that.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
understand but I don't really have an easy way to do so. It is way simpler to buy a new router than to install a new cable.
If that is the case, then you need to temporarily run a cable on the floor, in place of the pictured cable. OR move your PC close enough to the router that a short cable can be used. As @USAFRet said, you need to find the cause before applying a fix.