[SOLVED] Is my router or my modem causing the issue?

BN91

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
A few months back I upgraded my internet from 75 download to 250 download and I got a notice in the mail from my ISP saying my modem doesn't support my new speeds and I even get a pop up with the same message but every time I would do a speed test it was showing me get above 250 so I figured the modem was fine.

Well now 1 of the 3 computers in my house that are hardwired wont get a download above 130 and pages load a bit slower while the other 2 continue to get above 250. Also I've noticed my wifi connection and speed is terrible since the upgrade. Last night I ran a speed test multiple times from a laptop over wifi and could get a speed above 2. I'm not even able to watch HD youtube videos via wifi anymore.

So I guess my question is would the modem not being able to handle the new speeds affect my wifi connection and speed? Or is the wifi issue just the router. If the modem cant handle the speeds why are the wired dekstop computers showing speeds above 250 download as if it's working properly?

I'm using the belkin ac1900 router and it's fairly new. The Arris sb6141 modem is new too but I understand if it doesn't handle my newer speed.

Solution
Since some of the pc work I would suspect the router and not the modem. If it was the modem then none of them would work. From the view point of the modem all your pc traffic is coming from one IP address and one mac address....that being the wan port on the router. The modem would not know which device was which even if it had some ability to run at different speeds.

I would factory reset the router and only configure the admin password and the wifi ssid/passowords. Leave everything else on default. There are many features in the router that will cause bottlenecks when you are running very fast internet connections.

Your modem is docsis 3.0 using 8x4. Although this easily meets the requirements to run 200+mbps the ISP...
Your current modem is DOCSIS 3.0. You may need DOCSIS 3.1 for the upload speed.

EkyPXl07q2Efhz6q.jpg

Since some of the pc work I would suspect the router and not the modem. If it was the modem then none of them would work. From the view point of the modem all your pc traffic is coming from one IP address and one mac address....that being the wan port on the router. The modem would not know which device was which even if it had some ability to run at different speeds.

I would factory reset the router and only configure the admin password and the wifi ssid/passowords. Leave everything else on default. There are many features in the router that will cause bottlenecks when you are running very fast internet connections.

Your modem is docsis 3.0 using 8x4. Although this easily meets the requirements to run 200+mbps the ISP for whatever reason like to run docsis 3 at 24x8 or maybe 32x8. I would change it just in case the ISP ever decides to enforce some limitations. They likely have a list of supported modems. Most let you use a arris 6190.

Still I don't think your issue is the modem. it almost has to the be router.

Solution