[SOLVED] Is my router's default gateway the first router upstream into the internet?

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I have this basic theoretical question:

If my router’s default gateway is 92.246.10.1, shouldn't that be the 2nd hop I get with tracert?

Here’s an example:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>tracert 11.255.255.254

Tracing route to 11.255.255.254 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.1

2 * * * Request timed out.

3 21 ms 13 ms 11 ms haye-core-2a-xe-221-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.8.101]

Why is the 2nd hop 62.253.8.101 instead of my routers default gateway 92.246.10.1?

Any clarification much appreciated

Solution
It very likely that hop 2 has that IP address it is configured to not respond to ping and tracert but it passes data.

The other ip is the router IP in hop 3 not hop 2.

In addition lets say hop 2 actually did respond with a different IP address. Most commercial routers have many interfaces. To make management easier by the ISP they are also assigned another IP that is assigned to a dummy interface that can never go down. In some case the router will respond to a tracert with this loopback address rather than the closest interface address. This is where you see odd things like you can ping with the interface address (what you call the defualt gateway) or you can ping with the loopback Ip but tracert might only show you the...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the default gateway is not for the router but for the devices connected to it. that's why it shares the same ip family. such as 192.168.1.1 and so on.

the first hop after the router is normally the local neighborhood access point. they often disable answering ping requests to help avoid simple ddos attacks. it's not unusual to not get a response from the first couple hops after yous home router. but you should always get an answer from your default gateway for a device inside the network.

It very likely that hop 2 has that IP address it is configured to not respond to ping and tracert but it passes data.

The other ip is the router IP in hop 3 not hop 2.

In addition lets say hop 2 actually did respond with a different IP address. Most commercial routers have many interfaces. To make management easier by the ISP they are also assigned another IP that is assigned to a dummy interface that can never go down. In some case the router will respond to a tracert with this loopback address rather than the closest interface address. This is where you see odd things like you can ping with the interface address (what you call the defualt gateway) or you can ping with the loopback Ip but tracert might only show you the loopback.

In any case everything is working properly.

Reactions: Rodion15
Solution