[SOLVED] Is my RTX 2080 Ti getting bottlecked by 8700k?

May 27, 2020
Hello, I recently bought the msi gaming x trio RTX 2080 Ti but it is underforming. In Rainbow Six Siege (competitive settings) so mostly on low and textures high I dont have 240 constantly, I game on 1080p and I really want 240+ fps on the most games so low settings wont matter to me. Is my 8700k 3.7 bottlenecking my gpu? The reason I think this is because I have very low gpu usage (50%) and my cpu is around (80-85%). My drivers are all up to date and all options are set to performance, also powermanagement is set to high. I would really appreciate if someone would help me because I have been struggling with this for a while.

Specs:
Rtx 2080 Ti
i7800k 3.7 ghz
2* 8 gb RAM 3200mhz
700 Watt psu gold 80 plus

Solution
It is not bottlenecking your gpu.
even if it was, there is literally nowhere to go. the i9 whatever or new ryzen chips dont offer much ipc/clock speed advantages over the 8th gen.
If you want to test out if it really is your cpu, just overclock it to 4.9 (almost all i7 8700k's can do that) or 5ghz if you can hit that.
if that dramatically improves performance, you have a cpu bottleneck. if it doesnt, its another problem.
even if it was, there is literally nowhere to go. the i9 whatever or new ryzen chips dont offer much ipc/clock speed advantages over the 8th gen.
If you want to test out if it really is your cpu, just overclock it to 4.9 (almost all i7 8700k's can do that) or 5ghz if you can hit that.
if that dramatically improves performance, you have a cpu bottleneck. if it doesnt, its another problem.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You have low gpu usage because you're playing on 1080p resolution and mostly low settings, because you're trying to max out fps.
You were expecting 90-100% gpu usage with those kind of settings? You're primarily cpu bound in this scenario.
-Enable XMP
-Overclock, or alternatively turn on All Core/Multi Core Enhancement.

May 27, 2020
You have low gpu usage because you're playing on 1080p resolution and mostly low settings, because you're trying to max out fps.
You were expecting 90-100% gpu usage with those kind of settings? You're primarily cpu bound in this scenario.
-Enable XMP
-Overclock, or alternatively turn on All Core/Multi Core Enhancement.
Oke I will try that thank you, but I heard some bad story’s about ebabling XMP, is that right?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Oke I will try that thank you, but I heard some bad story’s about ebabling XMP, is that right?
Like what?
If you haven't enabled XMP after all this time, then you entered the ram frequency and primary timings manually? If you didn't do that either, then the ram is currently running at 2133mhz.
It doesn't run at the advertised speed out of the box. You have to either turn XMP on, or do the speed and primary timings manually.

May 27, 2020
Yes iknow, but the point is that if I oc it and it helps a bit I cant sell it anymore...