[SOLVED] Is my RTX 2080ti dead?

goldenblacklee

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
I bought an asus RTX 2080ti two days ago and played with it for one day without any issues. second day comes along and i overclock it by 200Mhz and carry on playing video games. Then suddenly my whole PC just switches off as if i just pulled the cord on it.

It would not switch back on but every time i pressed the power button the GPU would light up for a split second but no fan spin at all from any other parts. I removed the GPU and it still would not start then i removed the CMOS battery and reinserted it then my PC would boot just fine.

I reinserted my old GTX 980ti which works just fine. I think my thousand pound GPU just died on my within the first 2 days of ownership.

For what its worth i have a 750watt PSU but i read somewhere that the power draw for both of these GPU's should be the same.

All things considered I'm happy the rest of my system is fine.

Any advice?

Solution
I think the card got killed of via the psu - not to say the psu is bad by any means - it's a good unit. But that extra power draw from the card via the overclock may have been too much for it.

How do I know this? I don't. I'm not a psu expert - just using deductive reasoning. Something happened between the psu and the gpu within that short time that completely shut everything down.

I don't suppose your cpu is also overclocked?

I imagine if you were to apply a similar OC to your older card, something similar would happen.

Were you working your way up to that +200 core clock? Or did you come up with that number searching the net?

That overclock should have failed, because of the manufacturer set power limits + the card already...

goldenblacklee

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
can u undo the overclock?

Don't think so since i was using ASUS GPU tweak to overclock it and since i cant boot into windows with the GPU inserted i dont think i can. Unless there is some sort of hardware feature like a reset button on the GPU but the only thing i can find is some silent running button which i pressed numerous times to no avail.

Countgreen

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017
I would start an RMA with ASUS. It sounds like its dead/ just randomly died. A bad OC/ not enough power would shut down the computer but you should be able to restart after. what software did you use to OC it and it the OC software set to start up automatically at boot? Use a PSU calculator to make sure your PSU can supply enough power.

goldenblacklee

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
I would start an RMA with ASUS. It sounds like its dead/ just randomly died. A bad OC/ not enough power would shut down the computer but you should be able to restart after. what software did you use to OC it and it the OC software set to start up automatically at boot? Use a PSU calculator to make sure your PSU can supply enough power.

The software i used was ASUS GPU Tweak II and yes it is part of my startup programs.

I used the PSU calculator and i got a Recommended PSU Wattage of 557 W which leaves me just under 200w overhead.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It depends on the model, but the Nvidia 2080Ti has a slightly higher power draw(10w) than the 980Ti. The aftermarket models of both will draw more.

Have you attempted a similar overclock with the 980Ti before? I'm not suggesting you to actually do it though.

What's the exact model of the 2080Ti? I'd like to look it up myself.

goldenblacklee

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
It depends on the model, but the Nvidia 2080Ti has a slightly higher power draw(10w) than the 980Ti. The aftermarket models of both will draw more.

Have you attempted a similar overclock with the 980Ti before? I'm not suggesting you to actually do it though.

What's the exact model of the 2080Ti? I'd like to look it up myself.

The name is
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Advanced Edition

the model number is: 90YV0CC1-M0NM00

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I think the card got killed of via the psu - not to say the psu is bad by any means - it's a good unit. But that extra power draw from the card via the overclock may have been too much for it.

How do I know this? I don't. I'm not a psu expert - just using deductive reasoning. Something happened between the psu and the gpu within that short time that completely shut everything down.

I don't suppose your cpu is also overclocked?

I imagine if you were to apply a similar OC to your older card, something similar would happen.

Were you working your way up to that +200 core clock? Or did you come up with that number searching the net?

That overclock should have failed, because of the manufacturer set power limits + the card already factory overclocked out of the box, so there couldn't have been that much headroom left.

If it's still under warranty, try and see if Asus can fix it, or give you a replacement.

Solution
Nov 19, 2018
Could you try to remove the overclock using your other gpu. Also on msi afterburner you can hold ctrl while logging in and it bypasses the overclock. Is there a same thing for ASUS tweaker?

goldenblacklee

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
So just for future reference i ended up returning it to Amazon told them it was faulty.
When i receive my replacement im going to put it through a stress test for like 24 hours to see if it breaks before i start using it.

Latest posts