[SOLVED] Is my RX5700 broken?

joangast

Prominent
Sep 22, 2019
I recently build a new pc with a Ryzen 7 3700x and a RX 5700, for the first few weeks it worked fine but now my GPU spikes to 100% running certain programs like the League of Legends client or Discord, is this because of my GPU or am I facing a different problem?

Solution
I would try a clean install of the drivers first. I've seen a couple of similar issues to yours on the RX 5700 recently and I'm thinking perhaps this is a driver related problem, but it's hard to say that with any certainty.

Try a clean install of the latest drivers using the DDU, first. Also, check to see that you have the latest motherboard BIOS version installed because that also may be a factor in this issues. If neither of those things results in any improvement then I'd contact the manufacturer for their own support process and possibly an RMA.

I would try a clean install of the drivers first. I've seen a couple of similar issues to yours on the RX 5700 recently and I'm thinking perhaps this is a driver related problem, but it's hard to say that with any certainty.

Try a clean install of the latest drivers using the DDU, first. Also, check to see that you have the latest motherboard BIOS version installed because that also may be a factor in this issues. If neither of those things results in any improvement then I'd contact the manufacturer for their own support process and possibly an RMA.

Solution
Seems like these cards, all of them, regardless of manufacturer, just have problems for the whole 5000 series lineup. I do not recommend them anymore. The XFX THIIC cards are apparently the worst offenders, but all of them to some degree or other seem to have clearly identified problems and then other random problems not so clearly obvious to a specific model. Some of it apparently comes down to AMD themselves and poor driver support or firmware issues.

Some of this is identified in this article and certainly there are other, less card specific articles elsewhere.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3518-xfx-rx-5700-xt-thicc-ii-ultra-review-benchmark

joangast

Prominent
Sep 22, 2019
Im using an asrock 5700. I had contacted the seller and they sent over a new card, after installing this one i still got the game problem, could this be some other hardware related issue or is this gpu also broken?