[SOLVED] Is my RX580 Being bottlenecked or is it a fake gpu.

morit

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
I bought a RX580 4GB Asus Dual in Latvia, from some shady russian online shop. I got the card, and it performs the same as my RX460, which i was replacing. It gets around 30-60fps in the far cry 5 benchmark. It doesn't change the fps much if i turn the settings to ultra or lowest. I also have a A8-7600 which is a horrible CPU, but could it really be bottlenecking it that bad? All the videos i see online the RX580 with the cheapest Ryzen and it still gets around 70fps. I need to know asap, so if the card is at fault i can return it.

Solution
Would getting a ryzen 3 1200 for 60$ be a horrible idea, would it still bottleneck my card, if so, what's the cheapest cpu i can get so my gpu isn't bottlenecked? Just so i can get 60fps in games like Far Cry 5 on 900p.
Actually, that price for a Ryzen 3 would be a great idea. The 1200 is only about 10% slower than the 2200G and that can easily be made up in a mild overclock. You should have almost no bottleneck even at stock speeds on the 1200. That CPU with the RX 580, you should be able to handle medium or high settings at 1080p on Far Cry 5. Let me put it this way, with an i5 4590, roughly an equal CPU based on UserBenchmark ratings, and an RX 470, I can max out most games at 1080p. I think, with that CPU and the RX 580...
My money is on it being the APU holding things back. Basically your RX 460 and A8-7600 were perfect for each other. You could get all the performance out of both depending on the game. The RX 580 is WAY more GPU than the APU can handle. In games that load the GPU more you'll see some improved performance, to a point, but in games where the APU is the part being stressed you'll see no performance gain at all.

So, your APU is the problem here. A low end Ryzen like the 2200G will provide a SUBSTANTIAL (something like 80%) performance increase over your current APU and unleash the RX 580. You'd even get around a 30% performance increase from something as modest as an Athlon 200GE. It would still be a bottleneck on the RX 580, but not quite as badly.

If you monitor your CPU and GPU usage in games you'll see that your CPU will be near 100% usage and your GPU usage will be pretty low. This indicates a CPU bottleneck.

As for the deal you got on your RX 580, it was probably a mining card, which means it was pushed hard for extended periods of time and that might lave lowered the life of it, but it shouldn't have impacted performance too much.

morit

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
Here is a screenshot of my usage in Far Cry 5 while roaming around and shooting on max settings - http://prntscr.com/n61emz
Here on low - http://prntscr.com/n61gs5
My cpu usage is 100% in all games and gpu jumps from 50-100% in something like far cry, which makes me worried.
I might be able to return the gpu within 2 weeks, but i'm not sure so i'm hoping it's just a bottleneck. If it's a bottleneck is there anything i can do to help with it? I can't really overclock the cpu because it's locked and changing base clock won't do much good.

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
Your Faildozer CPU sucks. Nothing can make that lame APU perform like a a decent modern CPU.

You have a donkey and you are debating what saddle you are going to give to the donkey in order to make him run like a race horse.

Ain't gonna happen. If I were you, I would just put a bullet in its IHS to take it out of its misery.

morit

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
Made me laugh. Would getting a cheap motherboard and ram with a ryzen be a horrible idea, or should i save up for better ram to get as much as i can out of the ryzen?

Made me laugh. Would getting a cheap motherboard and ram with a ryzen be a horrible idea, or should i save up for better ram to get as much as i can out of the ryzen?
Cheap RAM with Ryzen isn't a BAD idea. You do lose a little performance, but it is usually less than 10%. Just be sure to get a dual channel kit or you will lose a good bit more performance. So, a dual channel configuration, two 4GB sticks, of DDR4 2666 RAM would be the cheapest I'd go with... After you make sure that your RX 580 is actually an RX 580.

You should follow the advice of the others and use GPU-Z, then compare the number of Stream Processors to the known number for the RX 580. Look out for things like people BIOS flashing an RX 480 or 570 or 470 as an RX 580. The 480 isn't a bad card, its performance is only slightly less than the 580. The 470 and 570 aren't that bad either, being around 20% less than an RX 580, and probably worth the price you paid. That said, I think you just got one that has been abused in a mining rig and your CPU is holding everything back, but it doesn't hurt to check before you put more money into it.

morit

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
Unless they found a way to fake GPU-Z, that is a genuine RX 580. All the stats check out. Proper number of shaders, right revision, right clock speeds. I think you have the real deal.
Would getting a ryzen 3 1200 for 60$ be a horrible idea, would it still bottleneck my card, if so, what's the cheapest cpu i can get so my gpu isn't bottlenecked? Just so i can get 60fps in games like Far Cry 5 on 900p.

Actually, that price for a Ryzen 3 would be a great idea. The 1200 is only about 10% slower than the 2200G and that can easily be made up in a mild overclock. You should have almost no bottleneck even at stock speeds on the 1200. That CPU with the RX 580, you should be able to handle medium or high settings at 1080p on Far Cry 5. Let me put it this way, with an i5 4590, roughly an equal CPU based on UserBenchmark ratings, and an RX 470, I can max out most games at 1080p. I think, with that CPU and the RX 580, you'll be good to go.

Solution