Question Is my ryzen 3 2200g dead?

Sep 4, 2020
(Precovid) 2019 December
My msi b250m arctic mortar with g4560 just got spilled by 1 litter of water while running and it broke so I sold my phone to buy parts because I would like to switch to AMD

(Covid era) 2020 April
So here I am buying 2nd hand pc parts because I dont really have the budget to buy new parts because im just a student so I bought these fellas:

Cpu: Ryzen 3 2200g
Motherboard: (New) Gigabyte a320m s2h v2
Ram: Crucial 2x4gb 2133mhz
Psu: Strike-X 500w

So i bought it all 2nd hand and when i built the computer, the computer wont even power on including leds, fans, everything yes everything.

Tested psu with multitester, paperclip and an old system. THE PC BOOTED which means the psu is fine.

So i contacted the dealer and sent him the board and after 1 month being RMA'ed and after testing the board without the cpu, it still wont power on same as before so after a day I bought a new psu...and you guested it, it still wont power. So I contacted the dealer again here comes 2 months of waiting. and still wont power anything.. So i contacted them again and they accepeted RMAing for the 3rd time. after 1 month. I received the board and still wont power anything no nothing. I just refunded the item and bought a new motherboard.

Motherboard: Asus ex a320 Gaming

Aaand it still wont power on same as the Gigabyte one... and I gave up and it passed the 7 days replacement for the board now I have no hope of buying another as i said i literally have no money anymore i only have like php300 ($6)

I wonder if its the cpu is faulty I never get to contact the one who sold me this ryzen 3 2200g and I think ill stop buying pc anymore cant believe I waited this long to not even use a computer.

Till now i still got my broken Pentium g4560, Msi b250m arctic mortar, ryzen 3 2200g, asus ex a320m gaming I have no hope but to sell all this as defective. :(:(

Do you guys think the Ryzen 3 2200g is the culprit here?

Does the motherboard have troubleshooting LED's? check the manual; there are usually three sometimes four. for ram, vga, cpu and sometimes boot. it will stop at the one where it fails POST.

If no LED's you can get a tiny speaker and hook it up to the motherboard speaker terminals and get beep codes that tell you where it fails POST.

Also, make sure your monitor is connected to the motherboard display outputs since it's an APU processor. And of course, do the usual things: insert memory one stick at a time in each DIMM socket, check all connections.

Just because the PSU spins fans and lights some lights isn't reason enough to think it's fine. Regulation could be bad or secondary voltages way off and that prevents the system from starting up.

If it comes down to a bad processor you can contact AMD and get an RMA to try and get it replaced under warranty. The only thing they'll not cover are bent or broken pins so check carefully for any.

Last edited:
How come it can power old boards from 2011? It also has a msi gtx 660?
ok...with a discrete GPU you should plug monitor into the gtx 660 display outputs.

have you run the psu on those boards since you spilled water on the system? if so, that could rule it out as the problem!

EDIT add: EVEN IF IT WORKS with display on the gtx 660, i'd take it out and run on the 2200g only. it probably has a better GPU...

Sep 4, 2020
No you dont get it xd

The older system which has atlhon x2 has the gtx 660 which is powered by the psu I bought 2nd hand.

The motherboard with the ryzen 3 2200g wont power on including the fans and psu wont even turn on with this board.

No you dont get it xd

The older system which has atlhon x2 has the gtx 660 which is powered by the psu I bought 2nd hand.

The motherboard with the ryzen 3 2200g wont power on including the fans and psu wont even turn on with this board.
LOL...misunderstood!

If you have access to another system you could try swapping parts to isolate as you did with the PSU: since the PSU works in that one, and if it's PSU still doesn't work in the 2200g system, then that at least should be OK. If you have another system that handles DDR4 memory you could try swapping that same way, and then CPU if it also fits an AM4.

If it gets down to the CPU is bad don't forget you have a warranty. So long as pins are straight and unbroken you could probably exchange with AMD under RMA.

Last edited:

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
I am sorry to tell you that the issue you are facing is 90% caused by the CPU.

So are you sure that you've installed the R3 2200G the right way? AMD installation process is different than Intel's. You just need to place the CPU in the socket following the right direction without putting any physical pressure on it then lock it down using the lever, then check if it is fixed in place by gently moving it with you hand.
You have to also make sure that the CPU has any bent pins, and you can always try to power the system without mounting the cooler to save you time.
If you did all of the above and it is still not working, try to take all the parts to a repair shop and ask them to test it with a different Ryzen CPU.

Sep 4, 2020
I think I should just sell this stuff as defective cause I have no one to test this cpu and support me financially so.... Am just gonna buy a lower unit unit :) so i can atleast use a computer again.

have a nice day!