[SOLVED] Is my Ryzen 5 5500 paired with an RTX 2070 a good pairing?

Jul 31, 2022
I would like to know if there is any bottleneck or latency issues going on with this hardware,playing at 1080p. Especialy after playing Elden ring.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5500
MB: Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2
RAM: 16GB 3200mhz
GPU: RTX 2070 Gigabyte 3x
Storage: 500GB Kingston SSD
Monitor: LG 144hz 1ms response time 1080p

Solution
Jul 31, 2022
I'd have to say matching a 5500 with a 2070 is not a great pairing, but only you can say if it's causing latency or bottleneck problems.

Or to say it a different way: if you're not seeing any issues then just keep on gaming and don't worry about it.
Thanks for answering. Its ok in certain games,but ive should have bought Ryzen 5600 or 5600x

Reactions: DCRC92
Solution
Jul 31, 2022
If budget allowed then I'd agree. But if not then putting more money into the GPU is usually the better choice for gaming.

No regrets if it's working out well for you.
Seems to be that when I max out Elden ring graphic settings it work better for me. My issue is the texture poping at High settings,It happends on DayZ and Elden ring so far,and GPU gets pretty hot. Not ideal at summer. But yea.. probably wait until new Ryzen luanch, then upgrade to 5600x or a better CPU

Jul 31, 2022
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Thanks for the feedback. I´ll probably wait until new hardware launch for the upgrade then.
I think that would be prudent.

Rumour has it that it may be that AMD release some Zen 4 CPUs on the AM4 socket! Something to keep an eye on.

Just to be clear, purchasing a 5600 or 5600x is not going to give you some kind of massive boost in gaming FPS. That's the point of the video to show how close they are. An upgrade (if prices come down) would be the 5800x 3D which would give a big uplift in performance. But not all games respond that well to the extra cache. But a lot of games do. If the games you play can benefit from that, then it might make sense.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I´ll probably wait until new hardware launch for the upgrade then.
I'd upgrade memory first...some low latency 3600 would help and position you better for any CPU upgrades in the future. Also make sure the gaming SSD is a fast one...getting textures off disk can be a reason for them "popping".

Your GPU getting hot is a sign it's working hard...and that the CPU is keeping it fed with frames to be rendered.

I'd also not look for Zen 5 on AM4. I personally believe that's a pipe dream since there will be terribly little reason for AMD to do so. They might do other things with Zen 4 though, maybe 5900X3d which won't help gaming much. That will be an upgrade for heavily-threaded productivity applications that are cache sensitive. Otherwise, I expect any future releases to be at the middle/low end, where you're already positioned.

The 5800X3d is the best gaming CPU on AM4 and I believe will remain that way.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022
I'd upgrade memory first...some low latency 3600 would help and position you better for any CPU upgrades in the future. Also make sure the gaming SSD is a fast one...getting textures off disk can be a reason for them "popping".

Your GPU getting hot is a sign it's working hard...and that the CPU is keeping it fed with frames to be rendered.

I'd also not look for Zen 5 on AM4. I personally believe that's a pipe dream since there will be terribly little reason for AMD to do so. They might do other things with Zen 4 though, maybe 5900X3d which won't help gaming much. That will be an upgrade for heavily-threaded productivity applications that are cache sensitive. Otherwise, I expect any future releases to be at the middle/low end, where you're already positioned.

The 5800X3d is the best gaming CPU on AM4 and I believe will remain that way.
I´m not sure if 5500 supports 3600 Ram.

Jul 31, 2022
Does having win10 on a old HDD be anything to do with the poping? I have windows installed on my old HDD but my Steam library and game saves are on my SSD

I´m not sure if 5500 supports 3600 Ram.
Like all Ryzen 3000 and 5000 CPU's it's rated for 3200 memory. But also like them it's highly likely to work with 3600 by just enabling XMP (DOCP if an Asus motherboard). Of course, there are no guarantees but just be sure to get a quality kit, low latency, made for Ryzen and it's highly likely yours should also work. GSkill is one of the better.

Does having win10 on a old HDD be anything to do with the poping? I have windows installed on my old HDD but my Steam library and game saves are on my SSD
Probably, yes. It's by far and away most important to have your OS installed on the fastest drive in the system. If you don't have one yet then a decent NVME (at least 256GB, but 1TB if you can) would definitely be a good upgrade. It's pretty easy to migrate the system with the partitions and files to a new NVME from an HDD. Although you may have to uninstall and/or move a few things to get it to fit if migrating the system to a small, high speed NVME. Samsung drives even come with a free downloadable app to do it with.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022
Like all Ryzen 3000 and 5000 CPU's it's rated for 3200 memory. But also like them it's highly likely to work with 3600 by just enabling XMP (DOCP if an Asus motherboard). Of course, there are no guarantees but just be sure to get a quality kit, low latency, made for Ryzen and it's highly likely yours should also work. GSkill is one of the better.

Probably, yes. It's by far and away most important to have your System installed on the fastest drive in the system. If you don't have one yet then a decent NVME (at least 256GB, but 1TB if you can) would definitely be a good upgrade. It's pretty easy to migrate the system with the partitions and files to a new NVME from an HDD. Samsung drives even come with a free downloadable app to do it with.
Thanks for the feedback.