[SOLVED] Is my Samsung 970 Evo ssd working properly?

neo4evr

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Hi,
I just purchased a new system for my work. It has Samsung 970 Evo Nvme ssd 500gb as the boot drive, which is installed in the primary pcie 3.0 x4 slot.
When I power on the system, after bios screen goes away, the windows loading screen (where the dots move around in circles) will be there for 4-6 seconds before it loads the login / welcome screen.
Is the speed of my ssd okay?
Thanks!!

Solution
You could also make sure that X4 PCI-e lanes are dedicated to the M.2 NVME slot for bandwidth, as many boards have an option for dedicating only X2 lanes, sometimes for sharing with two additional SATA ports...

Is the system in question a desktop?

(Is Samsung's Magician software installed? If so, you can run it's built in performance benchmark, and if ~3000-3300 MB/sec reads are achieved, then for sure you are running off x4 lanes of bandwidth...)
Sounds right to me. My experience is based on the 960 Evo 500GB and 1TB variants. If I were in your position and wanted a faster boot, then I would look at BIOS / harware / and Windows side. For BIOS, I would find option for quick or turbo boot, and enable it if not already. On Windows 10, I would load task manager (SHIFT + CTRL + ESC) -> startup [tab] and uncheck anything from Windows startup that wasn't necessary. On the hardware side, I recall one of the big YouTuber's demonstrating that computers with two sticks of RAM boot three seconds faster than those with four sticks of RAM. Technically this issue falls under BIOS, as the longer boot time of four sticks is because of a check performed on the RAM during POST. But since this is a work PC, it's not realistic for you to swap from say four 8GB sticks to two 16GB sticks, as an example. My last point is academic, as I don't recommend that you inquire, about your company paying for this change, in order for you to boot your computer three seconds faster. Such an inquiry would be a less-than-smart to make of your company.

You could also make sure that X4 PCI-e lanes are dedicated to the M.2 NVME slot for bandwidth, as many boards have an option for dedicating only X2 lanes, sometimes for sharing with two additional SATA ports...

(Is Samsung's Magician software installed? If so, you can run it's built in performance benchmark, and if ~3000-3300 MB/sec reads are achieved, then for sure you are running off x4 lanes of bandwidth...)

Solution

neo4evr

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

Hi, i benchmarked with Magician and got a sequential read speed of 3548 MB/s and write speed of 2457 MB/s. The random (IOPS) read and write speeds are 262,939 and 181, 396 respectively. Is this score good?