Question Is my Samsung SH-223 faulty?

richard8654

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Hi. My long-owned SH-223 (DVD/CDROM) shows up in Device Manager. It is not playing but that is the subject of another thread. I've just recently bought two more (cheap to buy,) but neither show up in Device manager when I connect via a USB cable I have. My USB cable fits onto the whole length of the socket at the back of the drive. It seems strange that both recently bought drives don't show up in Device Manager. I post this to be sure my two recent drives are bad. If so it's just complete coincidence that both recently bought drives are bad. Thanks. Rich EDIT: I am assuming both newly bought drives are faulty unless someone can suggest or show that assumption is an error.

Last edited:

richard8654

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Hi. My SH-223 connects to my laptop via a USB cable which plugs into the whole length of the socket at the back of the drive. The drive shows up in Device Manager. But Windows 10 does not establish that there is a disc in the drive. I've got the top of the drive off and I observe that the light source sometimes works. So, it's not a faulty light source. As it sits there on my desk a green light at the front flashes and occassionaly I hear mechanical sounds from the drive. That might be the mechanism holding the light source gyrating. I'm wondering if this drive can be made to work on Windows 10. It was made to work on Windows 7. At the moment the driver is a Microsoft one. I've not managed to source a Samsung /Toshiba driver. Rich

EDIT: Device Manager reports this device working propely. Device set to region 1.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Stick to one thread, please, unless you want the community to end up with spaghetti brains.

Try this out, if the device is showing up in Device Manager, right click on the device, Properties>Driver tab>Update Driver>Browse my computer for drivers>Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer>uncheck the Show Compatible Hardware box and on the left hand pane, see if you can find Samsung and on the right hand pane a list of all Samsung drives/devices.

If you have the drivers for Windows 7 on your platform, you can try and install the driver in compatibility mode, i.e, Right click installer>Properties>Compatibility tab>Windows 7(from the drop down menu).

richard8654

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
I think all my drives are faulty. Why? I just went and started up an old PC running Windows 7 Pro. I noticed there that I must have downloaded Samsung's device drivers because I see the setup file. My old drive is recognised, but even on Windows7 Pro the PC does not discover when a CDROM is inserted. So, that drive looks to be "jiggered". The two other recently bougght exact same model drives simply go unrecognised, by Win 10 & Win 7. I may mess around on my Win 7 PC, but my gut tells me all my drives are "jiggered". Rich EDIT: Yes, I'll try to install the Samsung drivers on my Win 10 machine & see what gives.
EDIT: That program which I thought was driver for the Samsung drive turned out to a program to update the drives firmware. I'm not sure I did install Samsung drivers. on my Win 7 PC. So, I cannot install a Samsung driver, to see what gives, because I don't have it. It might not actually exist.

Last edited: