Question is my second ram stick dead?

mrtopkek

Prominent
Apr 20, 2019
Hi,
I just built a new computer using the b450 tomahawk max and a 3600x (and managed OC'ing with 4.4ghz and 1.25v so I'm really proud of it)
I decided to go with g.skill Ripjaws v 16gb cl16.

Now when I'm using two sticks the system can't boot and the dram debug light on the motherboard is on so my first instinct to test them on my previous build (using an i5 7500 CPU) and both ram sticks worked but at 2133mhz since this CPU is only capable of pushing ram speeds to 2400mhz and I didn't care if they're working on 2400 because if they're failing below 3200mhz I'm gonna replace them anyway...

Anyway after trying that I went back to testing them on my new build at 2133mhz and it didn't work.
I tried testing only one ram stick out of the two and well, the system booted but after trying booting it with the second stick on its own the dram debug light was on again and the system didn't boot. That's the point when I didn't know what I should do anymore because I also checked if there's a problem with using two ram sticks on the motherboard so I took the two ram sticks from my previous build and it worked fine(with 2x4gb 2133mhz) so I honestly don't know if the problem is with the motherboard or the ram sticks cause they both work fine separately.

Would like to get some help on the matter.
Thanks.

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
Hi,
I just built a new computer using the b450 tomahawk max and a 3600x (and managed OC'ing with 4.4ghz and 1.25v so I'm really proud of it)
I decided to go with g.skill Ripjaws v 16gb cl16.

Now when I'm using two sticks the system can't boot and the dram debug light on the motherboard is on so my first instinct to test them on my previous build (using an i5 7500 CPU) and both ram sticks worked but at 2133mhz since this CPU is only capable of pushing ram speeds to 2400mhz and I didn't care if they're working on 2400 because if they're failing below 3200mhz I'm gonna replace them anyway...

Anyway after trying that I went back to testing them on my new build at 2133mhz and it didn't work.
I tried testing only one ram stick out of the two and well, the system booted but after trying booting it with the second stick on its own the dram debug light was on again and the system didn't boot. That's the point when I didn't know what I should do anymore because I also checked if there's a problem with using two ram sticks on the motherboard so I took the two ram sticks from my previous build and it worked fine(with 2x4gb 2133mhz) so I honestly don't know if the problem is with the motherboard or the ram sticks cause they both work fine separately.

Would like to get some help on the matter.
Thanks.
It could be that your PC just doesn't support upwards of 16 gigs of ram. since the Ram is working fine on the other boards I suggest either using a different motherboard or processor. It could also be that the Sticks are not compatible with the MSI motherboard (this one may seem a bit weird but try it anyways)
Try other 16 gig sticks at 3200mhz that are recommend by MSI and are DDR4

mrtopkek

Prominent
Apr 20, 2019
Maybe try resetting the bios or cmos?
tried it.. same result
It could be that your PC just doesn't support upwards of 16 gigs of ram. since the Ram is working fine on the other boards I suggest either using a different motherboard or processor. It could also be that the Sticks are not compatible with the MSI motherboard (this one may seem a bit weird but try it anyways)
Try other 16 gig sticks at 3200mhz that are recommend by MSI and are DDR4
it shows that it is compatible with this board on their site.. and i dont have another ram kit

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts