Is my setup compatible with the RAM?

LaserDashz

Reputable
Oct 14, 2016
Hi,

I am thinking of buying an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 and I am not sure if the RAM I have selected will be compatible. The RAM I have selected is the Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 8GB 3000 MHz DDR4 Dual Channel Memory Kit. I have heard some issues with the RAM not being able to run 3000 (or near enough to 3000). I also think I might be getting the MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC MOTHERBOARD. I need to know as soon as possible as I need to order the parts soon. Thanks.

Solution
When you get memory, you will want to compare the part number of what you get to the part number listed here (assuming you stick with the MSI board). If you look around, you will find the Corsair Vengeance LPX Black comes in a couple different part numbers. This is normal. One set will use Samsung chips, another Micron, or Hynix, etc

Why do some people have trouble hitting 3000 even with compatible memory? The memory controller on modern systems is on the CPU and to achieve those higher rates you actually have to overclock part of the CPU. As with any small overclock, it normally works ... sometimes it doesn't.

Motherboard choice. MSI would not be my first choice. That is a completely biased opinion and should be seen that...
When you get memory, you will want to compare the part number of what you get to the part number listed here (assuming you stick with the MSI board). If you look around, you will find the Corsair Vengeance LPX Black comes in a couple different part numbers. This is normal. One set will use Samsung chips, another Micron, or Hynix, etc

Why do some people have trouble hitting 3000 even with compatible memory? The memory controller on modern systems is on the CPU and to achieve those higher rates you actually have to overclock part of the CPU. As with any small overclock, it normally works ... sometimes it doesn't.

Motherboard choice. MSI would not be my first choice. That is a completely biased opinion and should be seen that way. Do your research.

Solution
Dec 29, 2018
Im not certain but I have an amd ryzen 5 2600 and I use corsair vengeance ram at 3000mhz. Even if it is 3000mhz and it is too much then you can always lower the mhz in the bios. A lot of ram comes in lower mhz than advertised anyway.

Latest posts