[SOLVED] Is my slow gigabit download speed a software issue?

Donster84

Honorable
Feb 10, 2015
So i have had this problem for awhile now for whatever reason i cant get anywhere near the speeds i should be getting in this case gigabit. Here is the a list of the equipment and pc specs that i am using

Asus ROG strix z490 e gaming mobo
Intel I9 10900k
EVGA 2080ti black edition
Corsair Vengeance 32gb
2 1TB crucial NVMe
1 1TB Samsung 860 QVO ssd
Windows 10 64bit
NETGEAR Nighthawk Cable Modem CM1200
NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router, R6700
Cat-6 Ethernet Patch Internet Cable i also used a different one as well

Ill start with the problem i pay for gigabit internet from Cox works great but for whatever reason i cant get the download speeds that i want/pay for on my pc but the upload speeds are perfectly fine and what they should be. i didn't have a different pc to test my internet on and do a speed test till recently. so i always thought it was an ISP issue or just a router/modem issue, i bought all new equipment and changed out the router i rented from my isp but the problem still persisted. I also changed out all cables with new cat6 ones but that didn't change anything. so i gave up. but i recently got a second pc and decided to try a speed test on it connected directly to the modem and it was the gigabit speed that i should be getting. So this leads me to think that its a software issue on my pc keep in mind i built this pc like 5 months ago so its no old and the motherboard says it can handle gigabit. ill list all the fixes i tried.

Replacing all my equipment modem/router
Replacing ethernet cables for new ones
Replacing my coaxel cable for a new one
Calling ISP but was told nothing was wrong three separate times
Launched my pc in Safemode with networking and speeds were better (safemode 260-300 Mbps) (normal startup 100-120 Mbps) should be upwards to 1000Mbps these are download speeds upload stayed the same
Finally tested on a second desktop (Hp Envy Desktop TE01 Series) (got it cheaper than what the cpu would cost alone so great deal lol) And it was getting (normal startup around 900Mbps) upload speed stayed the same
Keep in mind i tested this connected directly to the modem and than connected directly to the router both produce the same results. Also this was an issue with the equipment (modem/router) that my isp provided as well
Upload speed was never slow and never had a problem just my download speed.

So my question is how do i fix this and is this a software issue? because if its not do you think its a motherboard issue?
only thing i have not tried is reinstalling windows. Am i dumb are something because i cant figure out what's going . keep in mind i have limited knowledge on the subject so i can just be overlooking something.
Like is it a setting or something that limits my download speed because at this point im grasping at straws.

Solution
Do you have another computer with a different LAN, like an older gigabit Intel? The Intel I225-V 2.5Gb Ethernet adapter is known to have issues (and Intel has some advice on a fix that has had variable success based on Internet reports). That or see if you can borrow a gigabit PCIe adapter from someone for a short while.

RealBeast

Titan
Do you have another computer with a different LAN, like an older gigabit Intel? The Intel I225-V 2.5Gb Ethernet adapter is known to have issues (and Intel has some advice on a fix that has had variable success based on Internet reports). That or see if you can borrow a gigabit PCIe adapter from someone for a short while.

Reactions: Donster84
Solution

Donster84

Honorable
Feb 10, 2015
The only one i have is the one the mentioned above . it works perfectly fine and the speeds on it are what they should be around 900Mbps. ill try the fixes intel has and update afterwards if it worked.

Donster84

Honorable
Feb 10, 2015
So i couldn't find NVM 1.45 + LAN 1.0.1.4 driver but i did uninstall and reinstall the Intel I225-V 2.5Gb Ethernet adapter in my device manager and my speed went from a little over 100 Mbps to between 600 to 700 Mbps so thats great but still not gigabit. i am thinking this is the best im going to be able to do with the Intel I225-V 2.5Gb Ethernet adapter. just like you said it looks like it as some issues with it. I am going to get a gigabit PCIe adapter thank you for the help. will update later today when i try it out.

Reactions: RealBeast

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I personally agree with the PCIe adapter route to ensure you get what you're paying for.
However, when you say you reinstalled the drivers, you installed the ones from the support page for your motherboard manufacturers website right? Not whatever Windows installs by default?

You can't find different driver version on the website for the motherboard, but you can also find direct drivers for the hardware itself from the website for the LAN adapter itself.

But from what I can see it's still a bit of a headache and you won't necessarily get proper performance due to the hardware/driver issues and think that getting a PCIe adapter is a smart choice, especially since you can use it on and system and don't have to worry about issues like this again when you upgrade and get different motherboards with different LAN adapters on them.

Reactions: Donster84

Donster84

Honorable
Feb 10, 2015
I personally agree with the PCIe adapter route to ensure you get what you're paying for.
However, when you say you reinstalled the drivers, you installed the ones from the support page for your motherboard manufacturers website right? Not whatever Windows installs by default?

You can't find different driver version on the website for the motherboard, but you can also find direct drivers for the hardware itself from the website for the LAN adapter itself.

But from what I can see it's still a bit of a headache and you won't necessarily get proper performance due to the hardware/driver issues and think that getting a PCIe adapter is a smart choice, especially since you can use it on and system and don't have to worry about issues like this again when you upgrade and get different motherboards with different LAN adapters on them.
Thank god for amazon got a new network card same day and installed it instantly worked did have a hiccup with my old ethernet cable not giving me the proper speed but luckily i bought the new cables from before when i was testing fixes and they worked great.