Question Is my sluggish XPS 15 enough or do I need better, for editing?

nic146

Commendable
Apr 4, 2018
Hey everyone, I'm a long term viewer here but a first time poster, I'm hoping to shed some light on an issue I've been dealing with since a while

I got a Dell XPS15 9560 that I'm using mainly to do photo editing on Photoshop and Lightroom. Here are the specs.

Intel i7 - 7700 HQ cpu @ 2.8 GHz
32 gb of Ram installed
Nvidia GeForce GTZ 1050

It's been overheating and sluggish for as long as I can remember. It's not rare that my temperature goes over 90 degrees and it sounds like a jet that is about to take off most of the time when I open Lightroom. I track it with Throttle stopper 8.70

I came across some info saying the XPS15 had overheating issues and ways to fix it, I added heat pads to try and dissipate the heat, it didn't change anything.

Now I want to change for a desktop but the more I look the more I notice that the spec on this XPS15 should be more than enough for what I need.

Is there anyone who would be kind enough to help me figure out what the hell is going on? Or just tell me to trash it because they are a waste of time?

It would be much appreciated!!

PS. My knowledge in computers is limited but I can find my way around

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
What's the boot drive?

When did you get the laptop? Are you using paging/swapfiles? (there is no benefits to turning them off or leaving them on, just I'm interested)

Are you editing movies or photos?