Is my sound card too close to the GPU?

rahulmulchandani

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Hi,
I'm using a Gigabyte H55M-S2 Mobo with a Sapphire HD 7750. Recently bought an Asus Xonar DG ( with a PCI slot). While installing it, I realised that both the units are very close to each other. Should I proceed with the usage ? Is there any alternative that I can try with my motherboard?

Here are two images from the Hardware install.

Thanking you.

Solution
If you are worried about temps, don't be. Remember that there are people who run GXT 480s next to each other with less that a couple of millimetres of room and they stay sufficiently cool.

However if you do getting hissing or crackling in the sound from the xonar, try the EMI shield.

(you could always send the xonar DG back and get a xonar DGX which would go in the bottom pci e 1x slot, giving your GPU more room around the fan)

Optimus_Toaster

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
If you are worried about temps, don't be. Remember that there are people who run GXT 480s next to each other with less that a couple of millimetres of room and they stay sufficiently cool.

However if you do getting hissing or crackling in the sound from the xonar, try the EMI shield.

(you could always send the xonar DG back and get a xonar DGX which would go in the bottom pci e 1x slot, giving your GPU more room around the fan)

Solution

stevieboy21

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
If there is noticeable EMI then you will hear it. If you don't hear it then there is nothing to concern yourself with. EMI is almost everywhere these days, and we can't go shielding everything. If there is significant EMI, then get a PCI-extender ribbon to house the soundcard within or without of your tower.

The moment we start becoming sissy about insignificant EMI is the moment we start wearing tin foil hats.

rahulmulchandani

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

I am actually worried about temps and the hardware itself frying out! I shall get a more powerful fan for the case, so that cooling improves.

Your answer gives me the confidence to atleast set up the hardware! Best answer :)

Didn't get the Xonar DGX in India, that's why I went with the DG :(

GPU runs at about 55-60 C while gaming ( resolution is 1366*768 , FPS 55-60) and about 35-40 C on normal usage.

I shall keep that in mind. I didn't know of EMI! Thanks

TRENDING THREADS