Question Is my SSD 2.5" dead?

RonKorakas

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
Hello.
So, I recently upgraded my CPU.
After I did, one of my two 250G SSD started acting weird. Like, it wouldn't let me install Windows on it (it just wouldn't progress anything written on it). And once I used the other SSD to install Windows, this "bad" one wouldn't really write anything else. I tried transferring some games onto it, and it just wouldn't do it at all, or it would start, but never finish.

I tried Formatting it, and it wouldn't let me format it either, through normal channels. I had to go into Disk Part in the Command menu, and do the "clean" command on it. That's the only way I was able to format it, and I had to re initialize it in the Disk Management. But again, it doesn't Format. After initializing, everything looks normal, but again, I'm not able to transfer any files to it, format it, or do anything that writes on it.
When I do a health check or a disk defrag, it says it's Ok, but I'm not able to do anything else.

This was a Silicon Power (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075RJS55D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
SSD 2.5"

I should mention that a couple of times, the PC crapped out, and I had to do a "hold power button to turn off" hard reset.
I have read some articles that say that some SSD will die if you have bad and/or constant power losses.
The strange part is that the other SSD, which is a Kingston 2.5", was also plugged in, and that one works perfectly normal.

Any ideas?
Is it repairable?
Is my SSD dead?
Is there anything I can do, before just tossing it in the garbage?

Thanks for the help.

-Ron

Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600XT (upgrade from 1600AF)
B450M Motherboard w/ F51 BIOS
RX 5500XT GPU
16G 3200 DDR4 RAM
Win 10 Pro
The drives are the Silicon Power A55 250g, and the Kingston 250g, 2.5" SSD

Last edited:

RonKorakas

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include the new CPU and the old CPU

What SATA ports did you use for the SSD's?

When the formats failed: what error message or messages were presented?

I didn't think my specs would matter. I thought this was just a common issue with SSDs.

Here's the info:
Ryzen 5 3600XT (upgrade from 1600AF)
B450M Motherboard w/ F51 BIOS
RX 5500XT GPU
16G 3200 DDR4 RAM
Win 10 Pro
The drives are the Silicon Power A55 250g, and the Kingston 250g, 2.5" SSD

I used , out of the 6, Port 0 and Port 1, for the Kingston and Silicon- respectively.

The format wouldn't actually start. I would click on the "format" button, or right-click menu, and immediately after clicking, whatever window or program it was from, it would soft-freeze (like it's not completely frozen, but it's stuck not doing anything. And unable to close the window, or X out of it, without going into the Task Manager. And even then, sometimes, it wouldn't close).
I tried different ways of formatting, from Right Clicking on it, to Disk Manager, and none worked, except for when I did "clean disk" off of the Disk Partition Command Prompt.