Question Is my SSD at the point of failure?

Danoded

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Hi all,

I have a 500GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO running on Windows 7. The other day Windows ran a CHKDSK on the SSD at startup and it said that it was deleting corrupt attribute records. I've recently been using the drive and I have seen a program that I recently installed deleted, and I'm getting invalid file/path name errors for all my VMs in VirtualBox when I try to start them (was running one of them the other day without any errors).

I ran a Malwarebytes scan and no malware was detected and I also ran an antivirus scan and nothing was detected. I have all my recent data backed up via a system restore so I'm not worried about any data loss.

Is this a sign that my SSD is close to failing? CrystalDiskInfo and Samsung Magician both say that the drive is in good condition.

Overclocked?

In Crystal DiskInfo, there should be a "Health Status" block on main screen for that drive. What is the percentage reading? That comes from SMART data and it's probably based on the HTBW (Host Tera-Bytes Written) specification for the drive and count of Tera-bytes that have actually been written to the host drive.

If that's getting down to around 10%, or whatever is tolerable to you, it's time to get a new drive.

That's the good thing about SSD's: flash life is very predictable. If i'm not mistaken, when drive life gets to 0% it will lock itself to writes, you can only read from it.